Squealing C5 brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Squealing C5 brakes

Post by Johnno »

I've had about enough. The squealing, groaning, whistling is becoming embarassing. I've confirmed that it is the front brakes, by virtue of the handbrake and I've removed the calipers and cleaned all the surfaces, re-assembling with copper grease. The pads are only part worn as are the discs. There appears to be some run-out under light braking.

I've noticed other C5s with brake squeal - though I may just be paranoid. Is this an issue with the model? If I change the discs and pads, what is the likelihood that the problem will return? It occurs whether or not the brakes are being applied, the only difference being in the quality of the sound. Occurs first thing and at the end of a journey, but is not consistent.

Any pointers, anyone, before I go and spend the money?

Ta v. much.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It does seem to be a C5 "Feature" but generally associated with the rear brakes.
Other than that, I'm no help I'm afraid as I haven't had the problem occur on mine (yet).
hawkeye

Re: Squealing C5 brakes

Post by hawkeye »

Johnno wrote:I've had about enough. The squealing, groaning, whistling is becoming embarassing. I've confirmed that it is the front brakes, by virtue of the handbrake and I've removed the calipers and cleaned all the surfaces, re-assembling with copper grease. The pads are only part worn as are the discs. There appears to be some run-out under light braking.

I've noticed other C5s with brake squeal - though I may just be paranoid. Is this an issue with the model? If I change the discs and pads, what is the likelihood that the problem will return? It occurs whether or not the brakes are being applied, the only difference being in the quality of the sound. Occurs first thing and at the end of a journey, but is not consistent.

Any pointers, anyone, before I go and spend the money?

Ta v. much.
I can't help with your noisy front brakes, but have just cured the squealing rear brakes on my C5 by removing the corrosion that had built up between the rear of the aluminium caliper and the steel mounting plate.

My car also failed its recent MOT with a duff handbrake on the n/s. When I investigated I found that the n/s handbrake cable had siezed solid with rust inside the metal guide tubes that are fitted above the exhaust pipe heat shield, and the o/s cable was very hard to move. Replacing the guides, cables and calipers on both sides of the car has resulted in the handbrake working as Mr Citroen intended.

While doing all this work I decided to replace all the discs and pads, and the brakes are now completely silent in action, as might be expected, really, from what is effectively a new system.

2001 C5 HDi 110
1996 Xantia TD