how to empty fuel tank on xsara picasso sx hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

driftaway
My Cars:

how to empty fuel tank on xsara picasso sx hdi

Post by driftaway »

Hi,Can you tell me how to empty fuel tank on 2001 xsara picasso sx hdi, The car would not start,I tried the rubber mallet on tank and it clicked and started but not for long,so I think it must be the up lift pump .How do I remove it to change it. We filled the tank so will need to remove fuel,as it would be heavy,if we have to drop tank.Any information would be much appreciated as can't seem to get a manual.Cheers Derek.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Derek, can you access the pump from inside the car? It seems maybe not, from the part diagrams.

Including the steel strap fixing, there appear to be four bolts, probably 13mm heads, and maybe two more nuts slightly smaller. 70-odd kg is going to be pretty interesting! Can't get one of those old-school squeezy bulb pumps to drain the majority first?

Regards, Adam.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

No access from inside the car im afraid, you have to drop the tank down. You dont need to remove the tank completely although you will need the car up pretty high. There are 2 13mm bolts at either side of the tank & 2 2 13mm bolt holding the strap that goes front to back, you first need to drop the exhaust down, remove the heat sheilds & unclip the handbrake cables, use a jack & block of wood to support the tank when you unbolt it. the tank stays attatched to the filler neck pipe & pivots on it so the tank tilts to the nearside. this should give you enough room to access the pump. if you have loads of fuel in the tank you can undo the hoseclip at the bottom of the filler neck & drain it out here.
driftaway
My Cars:

Post by driftaway »

Hi,Thanks for quick replys.I have a Citroen xantia lx hdi late 1999 model,will the uplift pump in it, fit the xsara picasso sx hdi 2001.Fingers crossed it will.Cheers Derek.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've just had a look at the part numbers on GSF and you might be out of luck. :(
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.