Xantia Rear Wheel bearing again :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Xantia Rear Wheel bearing again :(

Post by KP »

Ok so my rear wheel bearing has gone again, this will be the 4th one since last summer now.
The offending wheel doesnt have the stone sheild although the other wheel does, but am i just getting crud wheel bearings all the time(GSF Incidentally)? This time i am going to take it back as a failed part as they are not cheap, IIRC about £45 a piece plus the same to get it fitted.

Anyone know of any reason one wheel would keep failing? The maximum wieght i've put in thec ar is about 250kg with a 1/4 full tank and just me and my dad up front but surely this would'nt kill it off as its within its wieght limits?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's very strange :?

Weight should not be an issue and normally rear wheel bearings are normally one of the least troublesome areas.

I suspect it might be a slightly bent stub axle causing it and thus putting an uneven rotational load on the bearing. Do you know if that axle has ever sustained a big knock in the past?

The stub axle can be replaced without swappingt he whole trailing arm.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

were all four fitted by the same person/garage??, if so maybe they are not tightening the hub nut enough, as these have to be FT tight, or on fitting they have allowed the inner race's to come appart then tried re/assembling them

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

2 different places have done it now.
Dont thik its had a hit in the past as the back end looks straight whel on level tarmac at normal ride hieght(though mine is an inch or under higher than average i think).

Not noticed any abonormal tyre wear either but will give it a check at lunch.

How hard is replacing the stub axle if i get a good 2nd hand one?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Rear Wheel bearing again :(

Post by DickieG »

KP wrote:Ok so my rear wheel bearing has gone again, this will be the 4th one since last summer now.
The offending wheel doesnt have the stone sheild although the other wheel does, but am i just getting crud wheel bearings all the time(GSF Incidentally)? This time i am going to take it back as a failed part as they are not cheap, IIRC about £45 a piece plus the same to get it fitted.
If you want to collect, I have two complete rear suspension arms (free) with good wheel bearings if you want to go that route.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I'd have it off you in a snap ifi were 2.5hours closer to you Dickie :(

Thanks for the offer though i may keep it in mind if my dad is heading down that way again soon :D
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

where are you KP?

John
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Just 5 minutes from junction 6 of the M18 and Junction 1 M180 near Thorne
Also need other bits as well now by looks of it :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: Also need other bits as well now by looks of it :(
What other bits KP?

I wonder if there might be another "relay" possibility here. How urgent is your need?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not too urgent, its got another few weeks left in the bearing at least i'd say :)

Other bits i need are front driveshafts(ABS Varients), may source cheaply from ebay,
Flexible air pipe from filter box to solid pipe,
Radiator before winter,
ABS issue needs me to plug into a diag machine at some point as i think its the ABS ecu,
Intermediate driveshaft bearing,
Tracking looked at,
Cambelt,
Clutch.
Door hinge sorted(most likely find another in good nick and replace it as to weld it up wont really stop the issue of rust....

I think the cambelt and clutch will be put off untill next summer as the cambelt looks good when i had a look and the clutch may last that long as well.

Most likely ill keep my eye out for an exclusive and buy it if i get the spare cash as Rachel's off on maternity leave until next May so we re scrimping to get by and then when she goes back to work next summer ill probably move onto another Xantia.

I think my Xantia is becoming one of those that is used as a real workhorse, i only cleaned it at the weekend after about 2 months without a wash....
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

To have so many problems with one bearing is, to say the least, unlucky. What are the symptoms? If it is the amount of 'rock' that the bearing has after a few miles, it may be a problem I experienced. The replacement bearing came with a new thrust washer - all well and good. After a few months, the amount of play was stupendous.

Turns out that the replacement washer was only just thick enough to provide initial load on the bearing, as there is a shoulder on the stub axle which prevents the nut from proceeding further. Whilst appearing to be ok when first fitted, over time slight wear allowed things to move. I solved the problem using - wait for it - the locking ring from a bicycle bottom bracket. You know, the old type with separate bearing cages? Has the right internal diameter and works a treat.

It may be something worth checking.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

yeah its the thing after so many miles it appears to be duff again as with the wheel on the ground and my foot at the top there is definite movement and when up in the air i can see the wheel moving in and out. :(

Ill haave a look as if its the case then is there a real washer that needs to be bought from citroen to fit it propely?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Ill haave a look as if its the case then is there a real washer that needs to be bought from citroen to fit it propely?
Yes, if you buy the bearing kit from Citroen, it comes with a new washer and hub nut. Trouble is, I don't think it is available as a separate part.
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Navigating the parts site is not fun at all :(

When you refer to a stop ring is it part number 5 in the link below or do you mean the hub fixing nut 18??

http://service.citroen.com/docpr/AC/img ... 31a010.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Navigating the parts site is not fun at all :(
No, especially when the rear hubs are under the gereral heading of Leaf Springs :?

Item 5 is the "C" clip that retains the stub axle. The washer is Item 71 and does appear to be available as a separate item under Part No. 3736 28 at 58p

The full bearing kit [Item 18] comprises the hub, bearing, washer, nut and dust cap at £136 (gulp!)

The nut and dust cap are available separately:

Nut Part No. 3739 12 at just shy of a fiver
Dust Cap Part No. 3740 45 at just over a quid

I'm not sure what the GSF kit contains but I'd get the GSF kit and add the above to it. It'll most likely work out cheaper...
Jim