Xantia 1.9td overheating up hills

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jereme
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9td overheating up hills

Post by jereme »

Can someone say if this is normal? Usually my temp gauge fluctuates very little between 70 and 80 degrees. Whilst on holiday this year near Millau in France the motorways go up and down some awfully steep hills. As i drove up them the temp went up and up to over 100 degrees. Luckily then I would be going down hill again, easing off the throttle and the temp dropped. The trouble was I had to slow right down to minimize the temp rise and if the hills had gone upwards any longer I would have had to pull over. Last year it happened in the same area when we were towing a trailer tent and I thought that might have caused it. So i was quite suprised when it happened again not towing.
Has anyone else experienced this at all, is it normal?
Vive la France! :!:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd say that was pretty normal. I've seen my own 1.9TD do exactly this on long steep hills in summer and always when towing. Diesels do dump a lot of heat into the cooling system when working hard.

As long as the temperature comes back down again readily and you're not consuming coolant, nothing to worry about.

Have you checked your fans are working normally?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jereme
My Cars:

Post by jereme »

Yes fans are okay coolant levels are good. I just needed reassurance and wont worry anymore, thanks
2cv, visa, bx , xantia and still not put off!
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Suggest that next time you get it good and hot, you run your hand down the inside of the radiator and make sure that it's getting hot all the way to the bottom, that there's no sludging or anything restricting the flow.

Having said that, mine used to get good and hot round Millau as well. Lovely scenery, though... :D

Cheers
Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with Pete. These cars have crossflow radiators - which means that the flow is across the car and the header tanks are vertical. All works well but and sludge in the system will settle in the bottom tubes. This is fine as under most conditions the rad has a considerable surplus capacity - but it eventually shows up when the car is stressed and too many tubes have blocked.
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Also, have a check behind the rad for debris between it and the intercooler and aircon condenser. It's amazing how much rubbish gets in there over the years. I once found a complete dead bird trapped between the rad and intercooler :shock: Blow out the intercooler and condenser fins to remove any muck from those too.

Even on mine with a brand new rads (both the 1.9 and 2.1) run hot when really working hard.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it's done 100k miles or more, I would be inclined to fit a new radiator.