New guy with (naturally?) a Xantia II Question - Front Bar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm guilty of lurking from time to time and have in the past used advice from this forum to my benefit (such as when removing carpets/underlay - the handbrake trick is a great shortcut).

Now, I'm another tragic wanting to fit logfights to the front bumper (Series II with the knockouts) - I've got the stalk, lights and jumper harness. AussieFrogs, where I usually dwell, doesn't have many people who get up to their elbows in a Xantia II, so it's seen me post here...

After identifying and removing the lower three bolts under radiator support lower tie member, the two side bolts and Torx screws, it seems to be still firmly held. The service.citroen diagram infers that there are no more fasteners and that it simply "plugs" into the round spacer cups, but I would like to hear from anyone who's actually reefed off a Series II bar before.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Regards, Adam.
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

My first post, if it's in the wrong place, I apologise.
You have all the fasteners out except one.
There is a large headed bolt on the passenger's side going from the front into the bumper. (I think it's about 17mm A/F and above the foglight and in a bit towards the centre of the car.) This has to come out. In the coresponding place on the driver's side is a large plastic peg which is all that is left holding the bumper. The bumper needs a good pull forwards to remove it from this peg. I put some blankets under the bumper to save damage. An assistant is also useful. The wiring goes onto the bumper at the edge on the passenger's side. Headlamp washer pipe, if you have it, on driver's side. I also put some Vaseline on the plastic peg to aid reassembly.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Thanks very much. I was concerned that the outer bumper covers may need unclipping to reveal hidden fasteners.

Good to hear I'm not alone, in seeing the benefit of a little greasing to connectors that become less flexible with age...

Cheers, Adam.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The R&R went pretty smoothly in the end. I couldn't find a 17mm bolt nor plastic peg as described by MJM - so proceeded to remove all identified fixings, then confidently pry between the flanged spigot (pictured) and bumper unit.

It came free readily. They pump some sort of urethane sealant into the adjacent hole; that clearly acts as a slight glue in addition to giving a snug fit. If you remove this plug of urethane from its plastic socket, use the transferred moulding imprints at the back of it as a match mark for refitting. As the car was previously unmolested, I think it's fair to say "this is how the Series II bumpers are removed".

Being a fussy person, I next spent about ten hours cleaning everything forward of the fan shroud! :roll: Foglights aren't fitted because my spring washers are inadequate OD for the mounting lugs. Ah well; next week when I fit cruise, they'll be seen to...

Cheers, Adam.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

......Blinded

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Do not forget to ensure their is a warning lamp on the dash for when they are on.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm looking forward to that telltale dash light. :wink:

Promise the lamps aren't for tosser value; rather the 5% of times when I have found myself desperately wishing for a little more illumination on a back road, at night in dodgy weather.

Regards, Adam
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

addo wrote:I'm looking forward to that telltale dash light. :wink:

Promise the lamps aren't for tosser value; rather the 5% of times when I have found myself desperately wishing for a little more illumination on a back road, at night in dodgy weather.

Regards, Adam
Front fog lights don't really throw enough light enough distance to be of much use driving at normal speeds in normal conditions. They may light up the curb closer to you than your dipped beams would but thats about the limit of what they'll do.

Front fog lights are designed for when fog becomes so bad that you can't see forward because the light from your headlights is reflected back at you by the fog. Under those conditions you turn off your headlights and use the foglights only, they project their beam downwards and not very far forwards so they don't really light the road far enough ahead for 30mph.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've been in pretty uncomfortable visibility situations where 30MPH would be suicidal. Exactly what you describe with the headlights; illuminating a "wall" of moisture about twelve-fifteen feet ahead. So, in looking for a solution to cases like that, I think we're on the same page. :wink:

Plus, there's a good flat and quiet street around the corner where I can check the aim and adjust as needed. Anyone who polishes the unseen bits behind their bumpers is going to be fussy about getting their lighting correct.

Cheers, Adam.