blown turbo xantia 1.9td l reg mark 1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

blown turbo xantia 1.9td l reg mark 1

Post by kevino »

hello everybody,
a bit of a problem here, i was driving back from london and i had my turbo blow out on me, it was quite frightening, i tried turning the ignition off but the engine just kept revving, so i had to stall the engine and drift the car to the kirb.
the real question is, is it a dificult job to replace the turbo and how do i go about doing it?
can i do it from above the car or has it got to be done from underneath?
my car is a xantia 1.9 turbo diesel (without intercooler).
cheers kevino
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Are you sure it isn't just overfilled with oil?
Turbo failure on these engines is very rare.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Just because you saw smoke it doesnt mean the turbo has gone. If the engine was still running its a sign the engine was running off its sump oil which could be blocked breathers, overfilling etc.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also i thought all XANTs had intercoolers, if you follow the large ducktting to each sise of the radiator, as your intercooler is in front of the rad
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd agree that the turbo is the last of the suspects. If it is and you need to swap it, the job is more fiddly than difficult. Essentially the exhaust manifold has to come off.

Have a read of MikeT's blog and this'll pretty much guide you through.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

The SD ones came without IC's IIRC as they are the low pressure ones?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

KP wrote:The SD ones came without IC's IIRC as they are the low pressure ones?
That would be correct.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

I also had same model blow on me.Revved it's rolo's off/tons of smoke and couldn't switch it off via the key.Oil came out of the exhaust and it looked messy.AA man arrives and starts the engine.Again loads of smoke/ blood and guts.Nice AA man says Yer turbo's gone mate and I get relayed home.Everybody I spoke to said "they don't go on the Xantia,they do on the Peugeot but not on the Xantia but I had a turbo go on a Fiat and it did exactly the same thing.I can't imagine it being an easy job from above but not that bad from underneath.I replaced mine but while I was at it ,I changed the head gasket and belt and thought just make a job of it.If I remember rightly,Haynes do an half decent aricle on the subject.I didn't find it that difficult to be honest.With the front end on stands,there is a fair amount of room especially with the O/S wheel off.I removed the intercooler and air ducting plus inlet manifold first to let some light in.1/4 drive socket set essential for my money.Hope this helps.Safey First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I put my 2 front wheels under the middle of the car as a comfort zone.Final thought:I struggled with the exhaust in position so it pays to disconnect from the hangers so you can get the turbo out comfortably.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

remove at least the top RH engine mount, possibly the bottom center right one too (the bolt)
support engine underneath, and rock it forwards.. use scissor jack to force engine gently forwards...

did this on a 405 and the extra room for turbo/manifold was very useful

realise xants have more in front of engine to get in way of rad etc...

John
kevino

xantia turbo

Post by kevino »

thanks to everybody for there helpfull articles on this subject I think i may have slightly overfilled the engine with oil so what i am going to do is empty about half of the oil out of the sump and see if that makes a difference, if it doesn't could somebody please tell me where to look for a possible blocked breather pipe as i haven't a clue where they are.
I started the car up yesterday and it did exactly the same, it ticked over alright with a bit of knocking and it sounded as though the engine was pinging a bit, i revved it a little and then it started again it went up through the rev range blowing smoke out of the exhaustand again i had to stall the engine.
and thanks to the chap who pointed out that the xantia does have an intercooler, i was looking in the wrong place i used to have a xsara and it was slap bang on top of the engine so i thought because i couldn't see it that the xantia didn't have one. my mistake
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

The SD were from about 1996 on IIRC

As this is a Mk1 L plate it would be a turbo intercooler or a straight 1.9 NA. You need to look for the two air induction pipes either side of the radiator as the intercooler is mounted infront of the radiator (I've just noticed that malcolm has already said this)

I really need to pay more attention :roll:
kevino

problem solved

Post by kevino »

many thanks to everybody for their suggestions on this topic. I have now solved this problem by emptying out some of the sump oil and also taking out the intercooler and all of the pipe work right back to the turbo charger and flushing them all with parrafin. The car did start eventually and there was a lot of smoke but eventually it has all cleared and the car seems to be performing better than it was before this whole episode happened.
cheers kevino.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

kevino hope you give yourself a slap for putting too much oil in. :roll: but well done for the quick thinking & stalling the enigne :wink: :)

As you now know having too much oil is a bad thing...always run the engine with the oil level in the middle of the Min & Max marks on the dipstick.

Anyone that drives a Diesel should always be prepared for an "Engine Runaway" situation....when the engine starts to run on the engine oil....the only way to stop it is to stop the air to the engine or stall it, the latter being the most practical & quickest way.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer