No apparent damage after (sort of) cam belt failure.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

No apparent damage after (sort of) cam belt failure.

Post by rory_perrett »

For those that indulged me an read my earlier post

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

you will know that for the second time an auxiliary belt failure on my Xantia 2.1td Exclusive caused the cambelt to jump and the engine to cease to function with a stomach churning bang.

Had the fix or scrap dilemma, however after it sat in the works car park for 3 weeks I decided to have it relayed home where it has sat in drive for another 4 or so weeks. Finally got round to having a look at it this weekend. Removing the cam cover reveal not apparent damage, I was expecting a fist full of smashed cam followers at best.

Its at this point the like of us just cannot help ourselves isn’t it? And yes I had the thought that I could just put the timing back right and it might start.

Never realised how difficult shifting the crank pulley bolt is when the engine is cold, manage to smash my 22mm impact socket before it finally shifted. To cut a long story short, debris from the auxiliary belt had completely wrapped itself round the crankshaft toothed wheel preventing the belt from engage with the teeth and allowing it to spin without the belt moving. Anyway, got it all timed right and it runs, just like it did. No nasty noises or vibrations.

Given the noise it made when it died I cannot believe the pistons haven’t hit some of the valves. As I pulled up pretty smartish when I realise what was happened the engine was not under load and probably not much faster than tick over when it went bang, could that be the reason things seem to have survived?

I’d just about talked myself it to stripping it for spares and scrapping the rest but given it appears to be running again….. oh the dilemma! Might need help as to how I can convince the wife that I need TWO Xantias not just one as well as her Xsara (and 2 kit cars).
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Rory :D Delighted it all came good in the end...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i hope you fitted a new cam belt, also be prepaired for some valves burnning out as its just as likely the valves where clipped by the pistons, you cannot rotate these engines whilst the cranck is not turnning the cam, as the valves will contact the pistons
regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Cor!
They do say theres also a bit of luck involved when the cam belt snaps, and lady luck seems to have shined on you rory! :lol:

It would have been a real shame if you had to consign the 2.1 exclusive to the parts bin, i still have yet to see one in the flesh what with the rarity and all.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: It would have been a real shame if you had to consign the 2.1 exclusive to the parts bin, i still have yet to see one in the flesh what with the rarity and all.
Don't get me started on 2.1s. I love 'em to bits :P

The 2.1 engine, in common with the 1.9TD, can survive remarkably unscathed due to the valves being at right-angles to the pistons. The pistons strike the pistons square-on and often don't damage them. The victim in all of theis can be the cam and caps on a 1.9 or the rockers (cam followers) on a 2.1.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

You lucky devil!!

Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Nasty :shock:

Tell us the story please Ian...
Jim

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

right-angles to the pistons. The pistons strike the pistons
you ok Jimbo? :D

so they have side valve engines or something ? :lol:

I am not really together either, managed to throw my poor VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] down the road into a passing Polo this morning.. at this moment I am down to no vehicles and feeling a little battered...

back on thread, well done Rory ! :twisted:
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

citrojim wrote:Nasty :shock:

Tell us the story please Ian...
I posted this one back in 2005.. don't know if it's still available on the database... if not i'll re-tell (still depresses me)
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:
right-angles to the pistons. The pistons strike the pistons
you ok Jimbo? :D

so they have side valve engines or something ? :lol:
:lol: :lol: Yes, I'm back to full health now in body at least John but my brain seems to be struggling though. Short of oxygen still maybe :lol:

I meant to say the pistons hit the valves square-on...

Hope that makes sense now :roll: In Xac's engine you could see perfect imprints of the valves on the piston crowns!
jgra1 wrote:I am not really together either, managed to throw my poor VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] down the road into a passing Polo this morning.. at this moment I am down to no vehicles and feeling a little battered...
Horrible :twisted: I trust not too much damage was sustained to either man or machine and you'll be back mobile soon John. Gravel rash was always the worst aspect of dropping a bike for me but leathers help hugely. Hope you had yours on...
f00lzz wrote:I posted this one back in 2005.. don't know if it's still available on the database...
It should be Ian, even if it was orignally posted on the Andyspares Forum. All posts were pulled across when the FCF was built. It looks a depressing tale just from the photo :cry:
Jim

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Well I can't find it, so here goes an abbreviated version.

Idling at traffic lights, big bang, AA Relay home, Start to strip and found shredded cambelt plus what you can see in these pics.. also found a big blob of melted rubber which I thought was the remains of the cambelt.. until I came to put the new auxillary belt on! Then I realised that the new belt was 'one groove' wider than the old one.. the penny eventually dropped and I became a wiser man. Change the auxillary belt and keep an eye on the tesioner and idle pulley's check that they are not tipped over and check that you have the correct size belt!!! Too tight and you will knacker the bearings in the pulley(s) the belt will come off/or shred, will find a way inside the cambelt cover and Hey Presto!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/z ... res025.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/z ... res024.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/z ... XUD004.jpg
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

In a word SCARY. No doubt, luck was on your side Rory. I just hope that you don't develop future failure due to this incident.

On the other hand, it gave me the chills watching that picture of your engine f00lzz. :(
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)