2001 Xantia V6 intermittent brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

f00lzz
My Cars:

2001 Xantia V6 intermittent brake problem

Post by f00lzz »

Hi Guys.
Currently trying to solve the following brake problem by a process of elimination.
The Problem: Occasionally once or twice per week I experience partial brake loss.. only when travelling slowly (so far) the pedal pulses like ABS cutting in but the effect is 'no brakes'.
So far I have blead the brakes thoroughly (10 min cycle each wheel) brakes seemed fine for a few days then today as I approached slowly up to a junction 'handbrake time' and staight home to change my trousers. As the pedal sensation seems to be ABS related I think my next step is to isolate/by-pass the ABS system, can anyone advise on the best way of doing this (fuse maybe) then I can rule out the ABS or confirm the ABS as the problem! All comments/thoughts welcome
Cheers
Ian
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ian,

Nasty!

There was a big thread discussing a similar problem a while back. It may shed some light...

Also this thread may be useful...

Hope that helps a bit Ian..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is the accumulator sphere any good? Test it by getting the car to normal height and letting it idle for a couple of minutes. Turn off the engine and sit in the boot. The back of the car should sink a long way and rise again after about 30 seconds - powered by the accumulator. If it doesn't then the sphere is probably flat. The system is probably cycling frequently as well.

What is happening is that the system is relying on pump output for the brakes. Normally there is a healthy reserve (up to 20 or 30 stops) held by the accumulator and basically this does all the work. The pump on your car has 6 elements pumping for the steering and 2 for the brakes and suspension. This is perfectly ok providing everything is working as intended - but you're probably feeling the 2 cylinders of the pump working through the pedal.

Accumulator spheres - about £20 form GSF or EuroCarParts - fitting if you know how (not difficult - search on here) not long.
jeremy
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Hi Guys thanks for the replies.. Spheres changed within last 12 months (doesn't guarantee anything I know) no noticeable tick from regulator.. HOWEVER. I have had a long standing problem with ABS light coming on and I found that the ABS ring was loose on the O/S/F hub. Having read the ABS threads, I have probably had the ABS chattering problem with the ABS light extinguished and then the fault is detected and the light comes on, so i'll disable the ABS and carry a spare pair of trousers just in case!!

Cheers
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Just an update:

Removed fuse to disable ABS and so far [-o< the problem hasn't occured again.. however, those big discs really make it very easy to lock the wheels, especially at slow speeds, I really need to get the ABS sorted !! or i'll have no tyre tread left soon!
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If you find a car being broken you can take the ring off it if its intact and simply fit it over im sure as they come as a seperate part i think from Citroen??
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

KP wrote:If you find a car being broken you can take the ring off it if its intact and simply fit it over im sure as they come as a seperate part i think from Citroen??
Not on my HDi 110 Xantia estate at least, the ring appears to be cold-shrunk onto the outside of the hub assembly. So a broken ABS ring necessitated a complete exchange driveshaft, and it was the long one too... :cry: Tried to find one at a breakers but of course everything on the front of a 110 is different...

Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

pete_wood_uk wrote:Tried to find one at a breakers but of course everything on the front of a 110 is different...
you don't know you're born, you try finding a V6 at the breakers...

BTW, I did see a while back a german compnay offering V6 driveshafts at a resonable price. I don't have the link, but you should be able to find it if you need it badly enough
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I was able to buy an outer joint with ABS ring rather than a whole shaft from

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk

Looks and seems a good product.
jeremy
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Well the CV boot needs replacing anyway... I would presume that as it is loose then it must be split.. I wonder if I could araldite it into place!!
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I took some pics when I blead my brakes.. I hope they are of interest

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/z ... eb6a86.pbw
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

f00lzz wrote:I took some pics when I blead my brakes.. I hope they are of interest
They are! Very useful indeed, especially the location of the front caliper nipples.

Your LHM looks a bit tired Ian or is that Hydraflush?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

No it isn't Hydraflush Jim, it's Morris Lubricants LHM Plus which is relatively colourless compared to the Total brand of LHM. A change is due, but not untill I have the time to do do it properly i.e. filters etc.

You may notice that I have removed the shields from the rear discs.. just a personal preference, I like to keep on top of the brake maintenace and can keep an eye on the discs a little easier this way.
Ian

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
1999 Xantia 1.9TD