Xantia Windscreen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

glenndaleuk1

Xantia Windscreen

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Hi All
I Recently had to put a new windscreen in my xantia after I got a small crack in it from a stone being thrown up on the motorway. I had to go thru my insurance who use a company that is run by a well known driving and breakdown service. So far I have rejected three windsceens that have been fitted. The main problem is the bottom two inches of the entire screen is giving a distorted image, so from my driving position on the motorway for instance the white lines in front of me instead of being straight are S shaped and it becomes impossible to keep looking at the road without becoming disoriantated and dissy. Has anyone else had this problem? In fifty years of motoring I have never seen this problem before. The manager from the company has stated that I may have to just put up with it as nothing can be done about it. But I am not about to except this. I was wandering what My next move should be ? I was considering the Trading standards first who could put me straight about what is exceptable. In my opinion these windscreens are illegal and dangerous. I would be interested to hear your comments and any advice offered would be appreciated.

Thanks
Glenn
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Ask them to fit a genuine citroen screen.
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

I agree, I have sujjested this to the manager who is reluctant to do this because of the cost involved and would be addmitting his own manufactured sceens are crap I think maby I will have to start upping the pressure on him, and use that word, compensation.....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i would ask him to fit a genuine screen & offer them that if it is still the same you will pay for it yourself.
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

A good move.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

If the screen is not correct, I would have thought you have every right to get a screen fitted by Citroen and stick your insurers for the cost, after all it is they who provide the cover.

I am a bit mystified that you are looking through the bottom two inches of the windscreen. Is your seat height correct? Do you not have trouble looking through the gap between the steering wheel and console?

I had a look through my screen and from my seating position, the lower two inches shews the wipers, scuttle and bonnet.

Handyman
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Superloopy, glad to be of service! :lol: :lol:

Handyman :roll:
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

For what it's worth, I had a new screen in my Xantia from Autoglass a few weeks ago and it seems indistinguishable from the original - apart from the thin film of murk on the inside that I need to get around to scrubbing off this weekend if it stops raining.

Mine's the "exclusive" model so mine's the one with the anti-UV lining and the rain sensor mounts, so maybe they come from a different manufacturer (maybe even original) to the more "standard" Xantia screens.

Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I had a new screen in my Xantia a while back, it's a Pilkington one and seems undistinguishable from the original.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

As a late comer to this topic I have read through and want to know how you are getting on with resolving this Glen.

I had a new windscreen fitted a few years ago - sorry I can't recall who did it but is was fine and it still is. I just remember having to wait around for ages whilst the glue set before they would let me drive off.

Clearly if you have had three fitted with the same thing driving you mad there is a mistake in production. I hope that you have had success with getting the correct Citroen approved one fitted and the insurance have sorted it out for you......... I wait with baited breath.

Nigel
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Can you take a photo of something through the windscreen that shows the distortion?

What brand is marked on the screen?
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

I put up with a Pilkington screen in mine for a couple of years, and it was warped and leaked. Because I moved, it was impractical to take it back to the Autoglass who had done it in the first place. I was relieved when that one grew a crack and I was able to claim for a new one and insist on a genuine Citroen screen (which is your right, I believe). Mine is the reflective one too and the third party ones aren't, apparently.
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610