406 misfiring and engine ignition problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrpotter

406 misfiring and engine ignition problems

Post by mrpotter »

:(

peugot 406 2.0 glx
intermittent accelerator problem, sounds like misfiring
tried redex fuel system cleaner on a full tank, still the same

also when i switch engine off after running for ages, i got enine ignition failure/problem (cant remember which - it only happened once)

anyone any ideas b4 i take it to get hooked up to the peugot control centre???
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This problem may not be revealed by a session of diagnostics..

To see if you have a stored fault in the ECU, watch very carefully the K (engine management) light next time you start. If it lingers on for a few seconds after the engine starts, you have a fault stored. If it goes out immediately, you're clear.

The fault(s) can only be read/cleared by use of a pukka Peugeot Diagnostic tester which means a trip to a dealer or to someone with the right kit.

Assuming you have no fault stored, the symptoms you have sounds to me like a weak mixture and the first ports of call have to be the MAP sensor or air leaks.

The MAP sensor is a reliable piece of kit generally but it'll be worth checking the small hose that leads to it from the inlet manifold for both being perished and letting in air or being blocked. Likewise, search very carefully for air leaks anywhere south of the throttle body (i.e. between the body and cylinder head. All hoses are suspect, including the one going to the brake servo.

I'm assuming you've checked the plugs and HT cables. Potentially the coil or ignition amplifier could be a cause.

When did you last change the fuel filter? There is a remote possibility it is partially blocked and leading to fuel starvation on acceleration.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...