First niggle.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

First niggle.....

Post by vince »

Oh well, it had to happen some time or other.

I took the car out today, the red stop light started flickering on and off....as i went round corners i noticed it either stayed on or went off....this pointed to the LHM level sloshing around....or basically being low.

The car drove home fine with brakes etc working as normal but after parking up and looking underneath i was horrified to see LHM spewing out from under the engine bay :cry:

After hoisting it up (and using axle stands) i traced the leak to a tiny hole in either the feed or return pipe to the front accumulator sphere.

What was also interesting was spotting that the pipe had obviously been bodged before as it was wrapped in hose repair tape...yet had split a little further down...Why cant people do the job right in the first place :x

The bugger is i left employment with GSF on friday this week to start a new job tomorrow and my damn car breaks :?

Its a good job my brother in law still works there......after a proper temporary repair by myself ive swapped cars with him so he can take it to Citroen tomorrow to order the correct hose and then get it changed over.

Happy days as they say :roll: :roll: Hope its cheap now that im on the other side of the counter :P
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Holy crap...what do Citroen make their hoses out of....Gold?

The hose i need is a major one that goes to everythin it seems.

Its £122 + VAT :shock: and not available until the 2nd of Sept

The good thing i suppose is that if its not available instantly then i presume its not a big seller and therefore not prone for going.

I'll make some calls tomorrow to see if i can get a second hand one and get it fitted :wink:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

vince wrote:Holy crap...what do Citroen make their hoses out of....Gold?
No, it's the random number generator they use for pricing stuff that's the problem! Just you wait until you need an ABS sensor...

Seriously though, this hose is a bit special. It's a flexi that can withstand enormous continuous pressures so against that the price is not so bad. Still dear mind, but understandable (well almost)...

They do fail but not that often. For the exacting job they do, they are pretty reliable and long-lived.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

vince wrote:Holy crap...what do Citroen make their hoses out of....Gold?

The hose i need is a major one that goes to everythin it seems.
You must have read my mind. I was going to start a thread about expensive hoses.

I picked up a breather hose for the Xantia yesterday (part number 118062 if anybody's interested :D ) and nearly needed smelling salts when the parts guy asked for 75 euro.

Luckily his colleague had made a mistake and quoted me 45 euro when I ordered it last week, so with a bit of haggling I got it at the reduced rate. Which is still extortion for a couple of bits of plastic pipe... :twisted:

And here was me wondering why the previous owner had stuck a length of garden hose on as a replacement. :shock:
ImageImage
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Well my hose has started leaking again :cry:

The heavy tape bandage although still doing an admirable job is saturated.

The car got me home and will get me to work to tomorrow i hope...when a friend mobile mechanic is going to have a look at it.

I think the plan will be to feed a piece of copper pipe inside the rubber hose with a jubilee clip each side to hold it in position.

Will know more tomorrow when he has a look at it.

Problem is he might not be able to do the job until early next week unless it seems like an easy fix and he will do it tomorrow

Fingers crossed because i just love the driving this car :D