Xantia electrical problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Muzz
My Cars:

Post by Muzz »

Hello everyone, I have done a search on electrical problems but found nothing to help with mine. I have a 95 1.9 TD Xantia hatchback. On a trip back home a while ago I noticed my Sat Nav was off. It had been plugged in to the cig lighter socket. I thought it was just a fuse, it was so I changed it. I have had to change the fuse before when using the phone charger that caused it to blow. Now it still does not work and neither does the rear screen heater or hazard warning lights. If I turn on the hazards when the indicators are in use, they stop working. I have checked all the wires under the radiator, cleaned all the earth points, checked all the fuses both inside and in the engine compartment. I cannot make head nor tail of the electrical circuit diagrams. Any help would be appreciated. MOT coming up very soon!
Thanks, Muzz
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Had something similar myself, I think it is the ignition switch failing as (I think I am correct) it takes all the power and the contacts get burnt out. I put a 30 or 40 amp relay in to stop the switch having to handle all the power. Took the coil power from another ignition switched circuit.
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Just looked back at my post on the subject -

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=

looks similar to your problem.
Muzz
My Cars:

Post by Muzz »

Thanks guys for your input all info gratefully received, it may be that the ignition switch may the culprit!? One other thing I forgot that doesn't work is the alarm light, either on locking or when operating the "dog" button, does that ring any bells out there?
Thanks everyone,
Muzz
PS Rory, did you actually manage to sort out your problem? What did you do?
Cheers
Muzz
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Fixed (well bodged) it Can't remember the detail (ie which particular wires) but I found another live supply and used, I think, a relay powered from another ignition switched line to power the relay. Somewhere in there I will have worked out the power loadings to make sure I wasn't overloading anything. I still have the car but whether I can spot what I did if I find time to have a look under the dash over the next few days.

Rory
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the indicators wont work whilst you have the hazerds on, and i think the cause of burnt ignition switch contacts might be turnning the ignition on and off whilst you have other elrctrical items switched on

regards malcolm
Muzz
My Cars:

Post by Muzz »

Update on the electrical problem. I have replaced the ignition switch, no change. I have checked all the wiring going into the passengers side, no problems. Still do not have the alarm light, hazard warning, rear screen demister. or cigarette lighter. I am going daft here, MOT at the end of the month. Any further ideas?
Cheers
Muzz
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

The cigarette lighter wiring is flexible, it has to cater for the ashtray being pushed in/pulled out. The wires on mine were a little short and had a tendency to pull off of the connectors on the lighter. I fitted an extension loom and tied the wires to take the strain off the connectors. Maybe your connections are working loose/shorting etc.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
1900sr

Post by 1900sr »

Hazard warning light switches are a weak point. I had one go on my last Xantia (and had it on Pug 405s as well) and it caused all sorts of problems with the indicators. I don't know if it will cause the other problems you mention though.