Differing spring compressors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Differing spring compressors

Post by MikeT »

Working on an old Triumph I think it was....

I seem to recall this happening before where I got loan of a spring compressor that couldn't clear the cover mating surface and reach the recessed valve springs.

It was just like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=008 and no matter how I configured the spring end, it just wouldn't safely work for me.

Another type I'd tried didn't reach in far enough so there must be several different kinds available and I need to be sure I get the right one.

This one look like it will clear the edge and reach down to the springs but I can't see how the collets can be accessed when it's on - it actually looks like a common G-clamp in the picture. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=012

This looks the right shape but will have to ask about the reach length and depth to be sure. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=016

If there's anything else I need to look out for that I haven't mentioned or if you have any suggestions at all, please reply.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Mike ;)

mine is very similar to the last one.. I had to get it to service a 16-valve zetec head last year.

One thing about mine, I can't use the lever to squash the springs.. the lever doesn't have enough leverage... I have to get the compressor 'shut' and then use the threaded section instead....

will send a pic later...

to be honest, if i can get my valves in and out before Monday (depends on head warpage) then If you cover postage i will throw you mine ;)

or bike up and grab it ..

Although I expect you want yours out now not in a few days...

another option:

pop to machine mart, buy one, then put it straight on ebay.. you wont loose much?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the last one is the one to go for, it is the same as mine
regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Another version I've found, is designed for in-car valve removal and works from the top only. Are they as good as they seem?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That type is for replacing valve springs or valve stem oil seals without removing the head. It's a bit of a fiddle usually but a lot less bother than taking the head off. If the head is already off you're best to use the normal kind.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.