AX bit of a lemon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

AX bit of a lemon

Post by Stempy »

Had a bit of a run through the injection system to find the cause of the flat spot. It seems the throttle potentiometer may have a dead spot. took the lid off and the track is very worn and measuring the sweep with an ohms meter there is a dip in the trace. Unfortunately the potentiometer is an integral part of the throttle body which is £300. :cry:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:(

Of course it's a lemon. It's a Citroen :lol: :P

Nothing wrong with lemons, ask a glass of Gin and Tonic...

Scrappies will be full of throttle bodies Stempy...

Is the car OK otherwise and apart from that??
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Can you bend the sliding contact to make its arc on an unworn piece of track? I have managed this successfully as a semi-temporary repair on other throttle pots.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

There are four wipers each with four tiny contacts so I think it would be beyond a bending remedy. I did clean it up with some contact cleaner and it ran ok for a short time but reverted to flat spotting before long.

I haven't given up yet, I'm just surprised that a throttle pot could be so worn after only 27k miles so now I'm a bit suspicious. Funny thing is, there is a receipt for a replacement 'carburettor' with the paperwork for £40, so it may have had the throttle body replaced with a used knackered one. At the moment the rest of it seems pretty good and I like the fact you can fill the tank for £30.

As you say Jim there are plenty of AX's Saxo's and 106's etc to rob parts from so I shall have to go digging.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I just remembered something...

Back along, when I were just a lad and playing with old radios (still do actually...) I used to "repair" duff tracks on pots with a very soft pencil. Take a 2B or softer and "draw" on the pot track to transfer some graphite from the pencil to the track.

On a carefully used volume or tone control, it could last quite a while and stop it crackling.

I'm sure it's not a good long term solution to your pot Stempy, but it might keep it going until you dig up a replacement from a scrappy perhaps.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Cheers Jim for the tip, no pun intended.

The plot now thickens as I've just checked the DVLA site and it appears that the recent MOT was issued with an advisory that the brakes barely passed the test. The seller said there was no advisory! Seems he was a bit of a rascal. I knew it wasn't a great stopper but now I'm scared to take it out. Still, discs are only a tenner a pair and pads about the same but it will also need new hoses according to the advisory.

The DVLA site shows the MOT history back to 2006 when it showed 21k miles, and since has needed both CV gaiters and rear brake cylinders replaced to pass the test.

I'm just hoping a policeman doesn't knock at my door to tell me that it isn't actually mine :shock:

Lexia ponce

Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

How do you get to check the history on the DVLA site?

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

re the mot advisory, on the green mot sheet there is a tick box which shows if an advisory have been given or not- always best to check. although with so many bits of paper it is eay to miss it
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I just remembered something...

Back along, when I were just a lad and playing with old radios (still do actually...) I used to "repair" duff tracks on pots with a very soft pencil. Take a 2B or softer and "draw" on the pot track to transfer some graphite from the pencil to the track.

On a carefully used volume or tone control, it could last quite a while and stop it crackling.
I remember doing the same Jim... point is that you don't change tone/volume settings hundreds of times a day 8) !
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I remember using the pencil to draw a line down the porcelin of the spark plug on my brothers BSA Bantam, he never was very practical and could never work out why it would not start.

In the end, he gave it to me......

Regards.

Slim.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »