Oil Change using Suction or Extractor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

Oil Change using Suction or Extractor

Post by jmd »

Changed the oil today in my sons C5. by removing the dipstick & inserting the tube of my oil extractor down where the dipstick should be. The extractor tube seemed to have reached the bottom of the sump 1 to 1.5 inches lower than the end of the dipstick. When I again inserted the dipstick in the engine I found no trace of oil. On refilling only 2.5 Ltrs of oil brought the level up to full. Needles to say I resorted to the old method of draining the sump. Anybody have any experience of using extractors on a C5. A friend of mine ( a professional machanic ) swears by extractors, but as he says himself, he has not done the job on a C5. Extractor seems to work O.K on my Xantia
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I honestly feel that draining the sump while hot conventionally is a more thorough job. I have used an extractor where needs be.......but it is a compromise ie no sump plugs or inboard engine in a boat.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I'm with lexi on this one...I like to remove the sump plug & do the job the old fashioned way, then you know all the old oil is out.

Oil extractors have only become popular because a lot of vehicles now have under trays that have to be removed to gain access to the sump, so extracting the oil saves work & time.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Oil Change using Suction or Extractor

Post by Ross_K »

jmd wrote:A friend of mine ( a professional machanic ) swears by extractors, but as he says himself, he has not done the job on a C5. Extractor seems to work O.K on my Xantia
Call me cynical but... 8)

I'll bet mechanics swear by them alright. They save them time and the need to get their hands dirty. :) Makes you wonder where else they cut corners.

Say, for argument's sake, you took your car to one of these "professionals" for an oil change and he could only get 2.5 litres out using the extractor, do you think he would:
a) bung another 2.5 litres of fresh oil in and bill you for 5 litres of fresh oil and a hour's labour.
b) realise the error of his ways and pull the sump plug in order to do the job correctly.

My guess is probably a)
ImageImage
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Re: Oil Change using Suction or Extractor

Post by mooseshaver »

Ross_K wrote:
jmd wrote: Say, for argument's sake, you took your car to one of these "professionals" for an oil change and he could only get 2.5 litres out using the extractor, do you think he would:
a) bung another 2.5 litres of fresh oil in and bill you for 5 litres of fresh oil and a hour's labour.
b) realise the error of his ways and pull the sump plug in order to do the job correctly.

My guess is probably a)
Whenever my C5 goes for a service, its always overfilled on oil so its too high on the dipstick and then the in-car oil guage shows error. I guess thats what they might be doing with mine. Just topping it up without getting it all out?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

[quote="uncle buck"]

Oil extractors have only become popular because a lot of vehicles now have under trays that have to be removed to gain access to the sump,quote]

My now departed Xantia had an undertray fitted but it had a little trap door just under the sump plug. It was a brilliant idea. No need to take off the undertray. Our Xsara's tray needs to come off - not too difficult - in fact easy compared with the C5's. I agree with others - oil extractors are a lazy man's way of doing an oil change.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Yeah I have seen the "Sump Trap doors" which as you say are a great idea so you don't have to remove the full under tray....unfortunately as you are aware most manufactures are now making the under trays in one piece which means they need to be removed in order to access the sump plug :( ....Just another hurdle in the way of the DIY mechanic :roll:

I would have thought it crucial to remove all of the old oil from an engine especially with the service intervals increasing, I don't agree with 20,000 mile service intervals anyway, but with only approx 2.5 litres of fresh oil every service...well that's just silly.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I wonder... It would be quite easy to add a trap door?

John
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Two minutes with a Dremel should do it
ImageImage
jmd
My Cars:

Oil extractors

Post by jmd »

Thanks Gentlemen. I agree with your comments regarding the undertray, not so difficulr to remove - but a nightmare to replace. In fairness to my friend the " professional machanic" I do think he was referring to VWs, as he did say he had no experience of Cit's. I was in his shed one night and he was changing the oil in a Jetta, the owner was present and he stated "that (extractor) will not remove all the oil". After letting the extractor do it's job he removed the bung from the sump, and only about 250 Mls of oil came through. It seems the extractor will not remove all old oil from the C5s. Next time (soon) when I change the oil in my Xantia, I will use the extractor first, and then see what happens after removing the bung in the sump. Definately a no go in future with the C5. As regards the Dremel on the undertray. Keep well to the rear when cutting the piece out, as the bung is facing towards the rear of the car, at the back of the sump.
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

The finger wasn't being pointed at any "professional" in particular. 8)

As you say yourself, they don't work on C5's or Jettas - how many other cars are they not worth using on?

I was talking to my aunt today who was telling me she had her Hyundai Getz in for an oil change at the local dealer yesterday. €120 in total - €45 :shock: :shock: for 5 litres of oil (even though the engine holds just over 4 litres), €10 for oil disposal, €12 for an oil filter :shock: and €60 for labour to top it all off.

When a garage can charge money like that for a simple oil change i can see the emphasis being put on getting as many customers through the workshop as possible rather than doing the job properly...

They should be called wallet extractors rather than oil extractors. :lol:
ImageImage
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

on the subject of garages cutting corners, it's done all the time.
someone I know actually lost his job for cutting too many corners though (after getting loads of bonuses for being a fast worker though!) at a local expensive 4x4 dealership.
If the book says a job takes 6 hours, that's what they'll charge the customer (or sometimes more I guess), even if it only took 4 hours.
Repeat that time saving a couple of times and you can get in an extra job and so more money for the garage.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Agreed completely. They are not going to remove that cursed under-tray, with its consequent difficulties of re-fitting. Wonder if the under-tray really has any function. My Xantia lost its under-tray 100.000 Mls ago, and it didn't do it any harm .
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jmd wrote:Agreed completely. They are not going to remove that cursed under-tray, with its consequent difficulties of re-fitting. Wonder if the under-tray really has any function. My Xantia lost its under-tray 100.000 Mls ago, and it didn't do it any harm .
When my old N reg hatchback lost it's, the speedo started behaving!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When you take the sump plug out of the sump the oil obviously runs out. When the oil rushes out it carries with it the things that sank to the bottom of the sump, i.e. sludge. An extractor with a small diameter hose can't suck the oil as quickly and wont shift sludge as effectively. Its all a question of whether you want all of your oil replacing or not and whether you mind the sludge being left in your sump or not. Sludge is not good!