Wonky AX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Wonky AX

Post by Stempy »

Got the AX home, seems in very good condition, paintwork and interior very clean. Lady Stempy drove it home and I followed in the Xantia. It looked slightly lop sided to me, like it had a flat offside sphere :lol: should I be worried or are they all like that. Couldn't see any springs that might have collapsed, seems to have some kind of torsion bar affair which I know nothing about. Must get a manual. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Stempy,

I'm hoping it's just your imagineation and you're seeing things!

The AX has a rear beam very similar to that fitted to the Pug 205. One major problem with the rear beams is failure of the trailing arm bearings. These are needle rollers and are supposedly greased for life. Water gets in and does it's stuff. The bearings can be replaced but so often the training arm shaft journal surfaces are beyond salvage and the bearing housings in the beam tube will have worn oval and again will be beyod salvage.

The easiest way to check the rear suspension is to look critically at the rear and look for excessive negative camber (just as you would with a Xantia) and using your hand, take a measurement from wheelarch to tyre on each side and between the tyre sidewall and the wheelarch.

If the beam is less than happy, the best bet is to go to a scrapyard and find a good one. I think you may find the Saxo beam is the same and is a straight fit. In any case, the beam is an easy job to replace.

If you do need to get a serviceable beam from a scrapyard and you intend to keep the car, it is not a bad idea to replace the bearing in the new beam before they fail.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

I have an AX....... that is wonky too.
Despite changing the front springs and shocks, it's still 2 cm lower on one side than the other :?
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spud wrote: Despite changing the front springs and shocks, it's still 2 cm lower on one side than the other :?
You know, now you come to mention it Spud, my old 205GTi always used to look a bit lop-sided as well :roll: And that had a refurbished rear bean and new front suspension on it.....

I'm pretty used to lop-sided cars now, running Activas :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Following my daughter home in her newly acquired 106, I noticed it seemed to have a slight list to the right. More of the same, I presume. :cry:
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well I don't think I'll worry too much about it at the moment, probably spent too much time parked on a high camber street. Of more concern to me at the moment is the big flat spot in the fuelling.

Took it for my first drive tonight and while it runs fairly well theres a big glitch at the point between open throttle and overrun. It is a late model with monopoint FI, so there's my hope of a simple engine to work on out the window.

Lexia ponce

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Wonky AX

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Stempy,
I have an AX manual in great condition---will look it out and see what it covers tomorow. Haynes BOL version.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Cheers Gregg. I've actually just nabbed one from fleabay for a fiver, so when it turns up I'll get stuck in. Start off with a full service and take things from there I think. Brilliant little car though and will be great for local trips instead of the gas guzzling Xantia. I don't think the fuel gauge has moved in 100 miles :lol:

Lexia ponce