Rear wiper timer relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Rear wiper timer relay

Post by RichardW »

Anybody know how the timer relay (maybe that's not the right term - I googled it, but didn't find anything useful) works for the rear wiper? The estate really needs the wiper running when driving in the wet but the factory set interval (about 3s) is far too short and it's scraping a dry-ish screen after the first wipe. Could do with about 10s. Is it possible to alter the time delay on the relay to make the wipe interval longer? My previous VSX had variable delay front wipers, which is a feature I miss on the HDi - wonder how difficult this would be to retrofit...???
Richard W
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The delay relay is self-contained, and (at least on the hatchback) is mounted in the tailgate.

You may be able to change the delay period by changing a capacitor, but to make it variable is more difficult. I don't think that there would be any wiring pre-installed for a variable delay function.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Your estate must be a different shape to my DTR Turbo as I find I hardly ever need to use the rear wiper and I generally push it on and off rapidly which causes it to sweep once and stop.

Be forward looking and just forget it - after all people (including me) were driving around for years in estates without any rear wipers at all.
jeremy