2000 Xsara misfire / sometimes reluctant to start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gary450

2000 Xsara misfire / sometimes reluctant to start

Post by Gary450 »

Hi All,

Im new to this forum so firstly Hello, and hope you can help! Ive got a few questions and ive searched old posts and they are not answered there.

We have a 2000 Xsara which is a 1.4, with the Bosch ignition system. It has a slightly annoying tedency to misfire occasionally (juddering, tractor like, as if its running on 3 cylinders) and also some evenings it doesnt want to start. It is strange in that it is fine every morning but about every other evening its a struggle. After a few goes of turning it over it'll fire up but will misfire for a few minutes, then this clears. The vehicle has been serviced recently, new plugs, oil + filter, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

I took off the lambda sensor which is on the front downpipe the other night, it was quite black so i gave it a good clean with some carb cleaner and put it back - i noticed it had 2 brown wires (the heater wires im guessing), one purple wire and another (cant remember the colour) and it has a grey flat plug. Is it a problem that it was quite black or do they get like this over time?

Also, is that the right sensor for the vehicle??
Anyone know if it also has a post-cat lambda sensor??
Last lambda sensor q - can i use a universal sensor and solder the wires together - im guessing purple on mine is signal which is blank on universal? These are alot cheaper!

From reading this and other forums I also suspect the MAP sensor - on this vehicle its on the drivers side end of the inlet manifold. The Bosch part number on this is 0 261 230 034, but one ive found on ebay which states it fits this vehicle has part number 0 261 230 043. These both have a black sticker with the part numbers.

There is also a MAP sensor on ebay with a blue sticker which is part number 0 261 230 057 and states it is the same as part number 0 261 230 034 which is my one. So which one of these is the correct one?? I believe one may be 3 pin and the other 4 pin.

Are there any other parts which i should check/clean/replace which may be causing this?

For the time being I will take off the MAP sensor and also clean this with carb cleaner to remove any oily deposits but id like to know which parts i need if the problem continues / gets worse!

Many thanks,

Gary.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Garry and welcome.

Misfires can be caused by fuel, electrical or mechanical systems and intermittent ones are even more difficult to track down so best start with the ECU IMO - i.e. Have the ECU checked for any stored fault codes.

I wouldn't use any chemicals to clean the HEGO (lambda) as it can easily be poisoned. I suspect your car has a MAF rather than a MAP? MAF's are notorious for suffering dirt build up and this should be cleaned thoroughly but gently!

I don't think the HEGO should be dirty considering the heat that passes over it but excess soot makes me think it's running rich. Pull the spark plugs when engine is cold, check the gap and their condition, they should be pretty much spotless if they're fairly new. Did the fault occur after the service?
Gary450

Post by Gary450 »

Hi,

We did not have the car very long when it was serviced, so i dont really know whether it was present before the service. The ecu light does not come on, so will there be anything registered on the ECU? Ive been quoted £40+vat for an ecu check - do you think they will be able to tell anything useful for relieving me of the money??

Im pretty sure its a map sensor - it looks like this:

Cheers,

Gary.

Gary450

Post by Gary450 »

Hi,

It may be the coil pack but this one is a strange design where it sits on top of the spark plugs, its wide and has 4 integral plugs sticking out, and you push it down on top of the spark plugs and then bolt it down (this is the black plug version).

Unsurprisingly its not cheap! Is the one on your Peugeot the same as this?

Cheers,

Gary.
Gary450

Post by Gary450 »

bump!