ZX TD Rumble at 1500rpm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sirgeorge
My Cars:

ZX TD Rumble at 1500rpm

Post by sirgeorge »

I have a deep rumble at 1500 rpm in all gears (I think. The noise is at the front, I think its on the near side, though I cant be sure. The car has done 130,000 miles. The front suspension has recently been checked and ball joints and a swivel hub replaced.
Any suggestions what tis could be.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Wheel bearing maybe - Jack it up and give the wheel a spin for noise, and a feel for rocking.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sirgoerge
Does it make any difference to the noise as the car corners, does it get louder going one way and quiet going the other way, if so then it is almost certainly a wheel bearing, unfortunately which one it is can sometimes at best be difficult to detect and at worst impossible, especially in the early stages, the only thing you can then do is go for the bearing on most load when the noise occur's, though from experience this does not always hold true.
Does this rumble only happen at 1500 rev's, what if you dip the clutch does it change or stop, does the frequency of the rumble increase with road speed, are the tyre's wearing evenly, have you had new front tyres.
Regards Dave
sirgeorge
My Cars:

Post by sirgeorge »

The problem finally identified itself when I was in the South of france, it was a wheel bearing. Many thanks for your help.