xantia 1.9l td, problem with starting and smoking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

xantia 1.9l td, problem with starting and smoking

Post by wonderd »

When the engine is warm it won't start for about 10 seconds and when it does start there is a big cloud of smoke, it does not happen when the car is cold.

Whan i was looking around i found 2 vacum solenoids (?) close together which 1 is disconnected, plus i found another device which i think is supposed to be connected to one of the solenoids.

The first pic is the 2 solenoids, the right side one is disconnected,

http://www.aqua.org.il/modules.php?name ... ic_id=8470

The second and third show the UFO device behined the engine which has a hose coming all the way to the right side solenoid and is disconnected.

http://www.aqua.org.il/modules.php?name ... ic_id=8472
http://www.aqua.org.il/modules.php?name ... ic_id=8471
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi
not sure if this will help a great deal but..........................
my 1.9d will start on first turn of starter whereas my 1.9td will take at least 3-5 turns when hot unless i follow the following
1.turn ignition on and put in keypad code
2.wait for preheat light to go out
3.turn ignition off and repaet steps 1+2
4.when pre heat light goes out count to 4 and start and it fires up with 2 turns of cranking whether hot or cold :) :)
Citrojim did explain to me that the difference between the 1.9d and 1.9td starting is due to the compression ratio but im sure he will elaborate if ive got things wildly wrong
i beleive the cloud of smoke will be unburnt fuel due to the cranking of the engine and not firing so nothing untowards there
Colin
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Before i changed he engine that problem wasn't there.
I know the cloud of smoke is unburned fuel, but why does it happen if i have enough fuel in there?
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you have been crancking without it fireing up you almost certainly will have unburnt fule in the combustion chambers
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wonder if your replacement engine has had a head gasket recently? that will reduce the compression and cause lazy starting until it has coked up again which usually takes 2 - 5k miles.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Have you checked the glowplugs are individually 100% working? Have you tried priming the fuel before cranking?

The two solenoids you mention are to control the cold start device (flying saucer as you call it which leads onto the back of the fuel pump) and the EGR valve (which is an insult to the internal combustion engine IMO).

It is common for both these solenoids to fail and in the case of the EGR system, that's a good thing IMO. Although the EGR valve sticking open is not good and I don't know how you can test for this without dismantling it.

The cold start device is operative by default and causes the engine to idle about 1100rpm. As the engine warms, the solenoid is operated and brings the idle down to normal so it should be obvious if yours is working or not.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm sure I read several times on here there being a known cause for the engines not to start easily when hot.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I'm sure I read several times on here there being a known cause for the engines not to start easily when hot.
Absolutely correct Xac. All diesels I've had fitted with the Bosch :twisted: pump exhibited the trait whereas those fitted with the Lucas pump do not :D

My theory centres around the low compression ratio (lower still if the HG has been done as pointed out by Peter.N.) which is not conducive to good starting, hence need for glowplugs every time on a TD and that hot diesel in the pump being thinner than cold diesel does not pump with such high pressure. Also, the intake air will be hot from a heat soaked turbo and intercooler and will be less dense and contain less oxygen. All will have an effect.

As I say, just a theory.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

What if i replace the HG with a thinner one?
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wonderd wrote:What if i replace the HG with a thinner one?
That's a bit extreme!

I'd be temmped to live with it provided everythjing else is ok. a thicker HG will aid reliability marginally and as Peter.N. says, once it's coked up a bit, the situation will improve.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The 1.9TD is never as good a starter as the 1.7 was for some reason. My BX TD (Bosch pump, Jim.... :lol: ) would start without plugs if it had been run in the last 2 hours - whereas all 4 of my 1.9TDs have needed plugs to start even if they've been stopped more than a couple of minutes.
Richard W
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

before i changed the engine, there was never a problem starting it.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When were the glow plugs changed last?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

They were checked when i replaced the engine 1 month ago.
What does it matter though? the engine starts fine when the car is cold.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does the engine crank fast when hot? What can happen is that the compression pressure rises and the engine actually cranks slower when hot than cold - and doesn't start as well.

Worth trying with the lights on to see what happens - it could be due to too small a battery, tired battery, poor earth or battery connection or starter main feed - or even starter.
jeremy