Xantia emmissions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

randomx
My Cars:

Xantia emmissions

Post by randomx »

Had my road test today and failed on the smoke. Im wondering what the problem could be, have a 95td 175k so I guess its not the the most enviro frendly but the test has the car at its extreme. Im wondering if there is something I can do to help me pass the test without messing with the pump etc. Maybe a magic potion of some kind ?????
michael
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm almost 100 per cent certain its not the pump. Its likely to be the injectors are dirty and the spary is not as fine as it should be.
There are many injector cleaners on the market. Most are tipped into the tank but some are supposed to be put in the filter. I would have thought one of these, being more extreme was what you need.
Did you take the car for a good blast before submitting it for the test? - Its always worth doing and can shift some carbon as well as ensuring there is no unburnt fuel in the exhaust.
Jeremy
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

My brother in law's BMW 325td always fails its MOT on smoke unless its taken for a 20 mile high speed blast up the motorway on the day of the test. I'd say try that first and see if that cures it.
I've had good results with STP Diesel Fuel Treatment in my Xantia TD - it includes both injector cleaner and cetane improver. Mine certainly ran smoother after the first dose.
If neither of the above work, then you are probably looking at a new set of injectors.
oskin

Post by oskin »

I had the same problem with the MOT probably because I drive it too gently. The fix was shown to me by a Halfords mechanic.Slightly warm the engine. Take the top off the fuel filter: its the black cap with 4 slotted nuts and a pipe coming out of it. Remove the filter cleanly and remove the visible fuel either by syphoning or mopping it out carefully with tissue. Fill the cavity with neat injector cleaner and re-assemble. Now belt the engine up to the governor for several minutes. This has worked every time on both my ZX and Xantia