Xantia Steering Grating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reservex
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Grating

Post by reservex »

My 99 1.9TD has developed groan when turning right, it does not do it all the time but sounds as if something is dry. I dont think its a bush or anything as i can feel it slightly on the steering wheel could it be the ram on the power steering?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's always worth checking the calipers are not binding a little and that the handbrake cables are OK and in adjustment. It is possible for the brakes to apply slightly as you turn and give the sound you describe especially if the handbrake cables are beginning to fail and have become a bit sticky. You can often see they fail where they pass through the guide rings. The rings rub through the outer plastic sheath, this allow water in and result in stiff operation of the cables.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

One way to avoid the chaffing and wear of these cables is a length of old
hosepipe through these eyes and clipped on with cable ties.

What state are therack gaiters in; if there is a harshness it could be dirt on
the actual rack though the ram is a possibilty. As Jim says, rule out easy
things like the cables first!

Andrew
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If it can be felt in the steering wheel, it could be a universal joint on the steering column.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389