What effects the Power Steering on a Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

What effects the Power Steering on a Xantia?

Post by KP »

My power Steering, or Assisted steering failing intermittanly and randomly.

It doesnt seem to vanish if i increase the revs, if im in or out of gear or if the corner is sharp or gradual.

I think it may be my pump as sometimes its like this just for one trip then its fine again but its steadily got worse...

The brakes and suspension all respond and feel spot on to me and the LHM level isnt low...

Any help Mucho appreciated :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Unlikely to be the pump or the other systems would be affected - although the PAS is first to go.

I'd suspect blockage of the pipes supplying the steering rack ram.

A Hydroflush might be called for but try doing a series of lock-to-lock exercises, might clear out any crap in the pipes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On later non-sinking Xantias the pump is in fact two independant pumps in one. They're known as the 6+2 pump and dervies its name from the numbers of pistons. 6 supply the PAS and the remaining two supply the suspension and brakes. Hence why a sinking Xantia which has a 7 (I think) piston pump and FDV rises and falls like lightening and an anti-sink Xantia is very ponderous in comparison.

So yes, the 6 piston bit of the pump may be a bit iffy but I'd be more inclinded initially to check the auxillary drive belt is not slipping on the HP pump pulley and the HP pump is not pulling big globs of air from a perished supply pipe between it and the LHM reservoir. Look for very frothy and bubbly LHM being returned to the reservoir. As the pipe is under suction, it'll not leak LHM but can allow air in, just like perished diesel leakoff pipes.

Air ingress will affect the PAS side of things far more than the brake/suspension side as the PAS is far hungrier for LHM and has no accumulator to smooth things out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahhh thanks jumi ill try and have a look for that :)

The lock to lock option helped the tiniest bit but not much really.

The slipping belt thing sounds possible as well i guess but no tell tale squeeling is happening as yet....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would go for the slipping belt first. The usual symptoms are loss of assistance when you apply a sudden load to it i.e. cornering hard or suddenly.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

My bet is on an air leak on the pump inlet supply hose, especially if it goes quite suddenly from heavy to light.

I would have thought a slipping belt would be more noticeable on heavier turns, and it would vary with engine revs.

Certainly check both though. It's very unlikely to be the pump itself if the fault comes and goes and the steering is light when it is working - a sad pump would make the steering heavier than usual all the time, it wouldn't vary.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi,
If you mean that you loose power assistance at random intervals, thsi happened to my car and it turned ot that the hydraulic pump was tired. I got a replacement from pleides after asking them about the problem. Believe me I exhausted all avenues before buying a recon one from them. They were correct in telling me the cause. Fitment took 30 mins and the car was great after.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, intermittant steering loss on the Xantia is almost allways a sign of the pump getting lazy.

Martin.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Pleiades, I'm sure I said something like that myself!!!
:)
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

How much is a recon one including fitting??

The aux belt snapped on me yesterday and im having fun trying to refit it as the AA guy didnt notice the idler pulley had collapsed causing it all to let rip and i dont think he really wanted to carry on with the job :(

I've got almost the whole job done but im really struggling with what appears to be some form of auto tensioner that sits behind the HP Pump, its about 4-5" long and is a very very strong spring device that bolts somewhere down in the nether regions of the engine and then onto the back of the pump. Lucky me the AA guy took the bolt off the back of the HP pump and me and my nieghbour are really struggling to get it back in.
Doesn anyone know what it does??

http://www.peli59.net/xantiafaq/XANTIA_ ... N_2001.pdf

On page 81-82 i guess i somehow have to find a way of moving item 7 as well?? :(

On page 75 you can see the kind of small spring device i mean on the diagram as well :)
Last edited by KP on 16 Jul 2008, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: I've got almost the whole job done but im really struggling with what appears to be some form of auto tensioner that sits behind the HP Pump, its about 4-5" long and is a very very strong spring device that bolts somewhere down in the nether regions of the engine and then onto the back of the pump.
It looks almost impossible but the top of the spring anchors to the HP pump cradle with a 6mm Allen bolt and this can be reached through a hole in the rear of the HP pump cradle.

The lower mount for the spring anchors onto the back of the tensioner and again this one can be just about reached through an access hiole in the HP pump cradle. You needa good long, slim Allen key to do it. Those that end in a 3/82 square drive to take a ratchet are the ideal tools for the job.

When the tensioner is loose, there is no tension in the spring so it's not going to fly off as soon as you disturb it!

Has the tensioer been replaced as now is the ideal time to
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I havent replaced the tensioner unit but i have replaced the bearing type part thats available from gsf for £35.

The problem is trying to get the spring thing to mount back onto the HP pump.
I put my whole bodywieght on it last night and it barely budged.

From what i can understand of the manual in that PDF link, i have to turn the nut in the middle of the tensioner counter clockwise to get it to slacked off.
Will slacking it off enable the spring to lower down so i can bolt it back into place on the back of the HP?

Wish we could go back to the days of just having the alternator or AC pump being the tensioner using brute force lol

Cheers for your help jim, Wish you lived closer :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

For either the 19TD or 2.1TD tensioner, you should have the one shown on page 78. Those on all other pages are not relevant to this engine at all..

Is the tensioner setup you have as shown in the picture below?

It's exploded and shows better than the .pdf how it all goes together.
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That looks very much like it Jim,

Kind of explains how the thing can be moved as well as i guess thats from part net?
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

The lock to lock option helped the tiniest bit but not much really.

The slipping belt thing sounds possible as well i guess but no tell tale squeeling is happening as yet....
In my experience, these symptoms are typical of a tired pump...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj