Diagnostic lights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joshier

Diagnostic lights

Post by joshier »

Hello

I have a 1994, Peugeot 306, 1.4

It's been a beauty for me for a whole year as my first car and I've not had a single problem with it, up until recently.

Long story cut short, the air pipe under the engine was replaced and it got a lot better (it would start), but it mis-fires every now and again usually at 1k to 2.5k revs. (The hand-brake light comes on randomly whilst driving along and it has trouble idling also)

Anyway, I just need to know the standard procedure to test the car using the electronics.

I did get a manual to try and short the wires by the ECU but this did not work (I had the key all the way up until starting and the dash lights just stayed all lit, not one of them blinked).

I need to know how to trigger this so I can see if the cars electronics can tell me where the problem may be.

Kind regards.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Joshier -

I suspect this is the same setup as found on BX'es.
Details found here :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.php
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
joshier

Post by joshier »

AndersDK wrote:Hi Joshier -

I suspect this is the same setup as found on BX'es.
Details found here :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.php
That's a shame. I was hoping for a 'short two wires and watch the lights'!

I guess it's a lot more complex, I notice they are using a voltage meter and then comparing the waveforms of electricity to compare them to a standard, working visual wave form of the electricity flow.

If anyone knows any solution to the problem I'm having (perhaps it's quite common seeing as the amount of times I've read people describe the same thing on other forums ~ usually referring it to as 'bunny hopping')

As I say, it only happens in lower revs, the handbrake comes on randomly as I'm driving along, it doesn't like idling and it seems to get worse the longer I run it.

So far the solutions I have read are:
  • - change Ht leads to original ones.

- replace lamba sensor
remove the air pipe to air filter housing, unplug all electrical connectors on throttle body (and breather pipes). undo 3 x 5mm Allan Key bolts, remove throttle body, clean round butterfly valve to remove excess dirt and grime. unscrew the "stepper" motor with a t20 torx screwdriver and clean
unplug the injection sensor timing, set the idle with the screw behind the injection box & plug the injection timing sensor back in.