Help me please AGAIN!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neotheone

Help me please AGAIN!!!!

Post by neotheone »

Sorry about this, I have had long standing problems starting my Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 16V but that stopped when my turbo blown-up got another turbo fitted but I have noticed that the car produces blue smoke on start-up and during normal driving, the car did smoke abit before the turbo went but this now seem excessive? just woundering if anyone could shed light on any tell tale signs for pinpointing the cause ( stem seals, piston rings etc) any help is greatly received - I have got a right headache with this car but cannot afford to change yet so need help if possible :cry:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Blue smoke sounds like lubricating oil being burnt. Most likely suspect would be the replacement turbo.

Turbo failure on many Citroens is very unusual (have a search on here and you'll see what I mean) so I wonder what caused it to fail in the first place
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

A while back now I had a failed bearing on the turbo of my CX GTi turbo
which manifest itself as a cloud of smoke after the car initially started up
and warmed through with it burning the oil that had escaped around the
bearing seals of the main spindle shaft. The smoke was actually quite bad
and was straight out of a James Bond gadget on the car but it did clear
when it all warmed through.

Was the replacement turbo new or second hand and did the oil feed to the
primary spindle bearing get checked for any blockages etc?

There is the possibility that oil is being drawn into the turbo from the induction
plumbing where a breather is blocked and instead of drawing vapor away,
oil is being pulled back?

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have a poke in all air ducts and air filter as they MAY be soaked from engine oil - due to the former turbo failure.
Clean with engine cleaner and flush with water.

You can test drive the car with the turbo suction air duct disconnected from the inlet air flter. That will tell if the blue smoke is oil coming from the fuming/vapour system.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

Just curious, but did the replacement turbo seem to cure all the problems you were having, like the hard starting with plumes of white smoke and poor running?

My C3 is still as bad as ever. Now have trading standards on the case who think we have a fairly good case because of the age of the car. Citroen UK gave me a complete refund for the two front springs, one top suspension mount and the labour after I wrote to a manager there (goodwill payment, not acceptance of liability) - so don't put up with things like this; complain! That's to everyone with problematic C3s, especially the bloody spring failures.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007