Hi and help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

grunty
My Cars:

Hi and help

Post by grunty »

New here so hello :D

Been directed from the retro rides forum as I have a ZX with a problem.
It is a 1900 diesel turbo estate and has handled badly from purhase a couple of months ago. Just been in and changed the front tyres and found the nearside bottom ball joint was worn so bought a new one and set about fitting it, turns out it is the hole in the strut that has worn and the cross bolt wont tighten up enough to take up the slack :cry: Is this a common problem? Has anyone got a spare strut?

Second question is, I have to change the CV boot, does the outer joint split? if so how? I yanked it today and the shaft came out of the gearbox instead.
I don't have a cone :?

With thanks
Alan
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Alan.

First, do you mean the hole in the bottem of the hub where the ball joint slips in? As I think, from memory that there are two different sizes of ball joint for the ZX, it could be a simple case that you have been supplied the wrong sized joint.

You don't realy want to be pulling the driveshaft out of the gearbox, not unless you intend to replace the seals and gearbox oil, you will need to check it now that you have lost a little bit, as others have found out, the slip rings are quite fragile and low oil can cause premature wear.

The CV joint will pull off the end of the drive shaft whilst holding the shaft in place. I allways used a pulling tool made up from an old slide hammer with a hub nut welded to the end. Or you can do it by cleaning out the grease, then hitting the inner race with a hammer, but be careful not to hit the bearing cage, this will break very easily.

Other than that, its the stretchy gaiter, you can fiddle through by making a cone from a long funnel.

Have Fun

Regards
Slim.
grunty
My Cars:

Post by grunty »

Thanks for reply.
Will top up box asap :)
Good news about Cv joint, will play later.

Not yet fitted the new ball joint as the old one would not come out without some force and not being sure the new one would go back in I left it.
Do you know the different sizes?

My new one is 16mm

thanks
Alan
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

some of the CV joints will knock off but one type will not, the way to tell the one which wont is by the type of inner joint, it has the boot attatched to what i discribe as a backed bean can, to replace the outter without a cone you dismantle the inner joint and remove the triack, then slide the old outer off and new one on the inner end of the shaft,

to release the backed bean can i use a small coal chizle to gently peal the edge away from the main body of the inner splinned end of the shaft, if you are carefull you can re/use the can

i belive the two diferant swivle pins are 16 and 18mm

with the shaft removed from the gear box you will loose apox 1 litre of oil

regards malcolm
grunty
My Cars:

Post by grunty »

Job done, removed shaft and tapped the inner part of joint and of it came :D

The ball joint was supposed to be 16mm but the hole was knackered and no way would it tighten on the ball joint. I removed the bottom of the strut and clamped it in the bench drill and redrilled the hole to 18mm and fitted a berlingo balljoint which was 18mm :D The only downside is I had to fit an m8 crossbolt instead of m10 :? All forces are aimed at keeping it in so it should be ok..