Vibration at speed, every few seconds....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Vibration at speed, every few seconds....

Post by jgra1 »

chaps, I have this with my current xantia and have had it before, noticeably with a heavy comfy and slightly missed 605 :)

It isn't a constant vibration at a certain speed, more of a 'wave' of vibration that builds and dies every few seconds, noticeable at 70-80 ish...

I have 3 new tyres, all balanced allegedly.. car has exclusive alloys..

I can only imagine that all wheels, driveshafts etc have a perfect 'resonance' with each other, at certain speeds ...

It doesnt worry me but spoils a nice ride, every so slightly... anyone else had this happen?

John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm just wondering ...
What about the 4.th wheel ?
If that wheel is missing, I'd say your car would be prone to do all kinds of vibrations during drive ...
Have you checked if the wheel is still there - lately ... ?

Yeah - well :wink:

Never heard the wheels could do inter-resonance, but each wheel and its suspension can do so with bad shockers - or spheres.
Remember that a roadwheel have both a static and a dynamic balancing to be done :
the static is the wellknown hopping at a certain speed
the dynamic is the sidewards balancing causing annoying wobble in steering wheel.
Both types can be caused by a duck egg on the tyre.
- and they can do it to your description as many parts are involved each having their own preferred resonance frequency.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Anders will check the 4th wheel is there in a second

the 5th wheel was vibrating so i took it off, who needs steering anyway

:twisted:
srx600

Post by srx600 »

I had a similiar problem with a ZX which was caused by flat spots on the tyres. New tyres solved the problem. (as to why they had flat spots I have no idea)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks srx...

3 of the tyres are brand new.. will take a good look at 4th..
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would say that you have two tyres on the same axle slightly out of balance and they are going in and out of phase with each other as their relative position changes i.e. when cornering, as the outside wheel is rotating faster than the inside..
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

srx600 wrote:I had a similiar problem with a ZX which was caused by flat spots on the tyres. New tyres solved the problem. (as to why they had flat spots I have no idea)
I've had that recently on my Fabia. My symptoms were different though.
Diagnosed by the main stealer when I took it in to investigate under warranty, what I thought was a duff wheel bearing with constant whining noise
As you said, new tyres solved the problem.
Bit of a pig though, as the old ones still had a fair bit of meat left on them.

I thought 'flat spotting' only happened in F1 too, due to excessive skidding? :?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

jgra1

Post subject: Vibration at speed, every few seconds....

chaps, I have this with my current xantia and have had it before, noticeably with a heavy comfy and slightly missed 605. It isn't a constant vibration at a certain speed, more of a 'wave' of vibration that builds and dies every few seconds, noticeable at 70-80 ish...

I have 3 new tyres, all balanced allegedly.. car has exclusive alloys..

I can only imagine that all wheels, driveshafts etc have a perfect 'resonance' with each other, at certain speeds.

It doesnt worry me but spoils a nice ride, every so slightly... anyone else had this happen?
Apart from tyres, I would bet on driveshaft inner universal(s)... had identical symptoms with my Xant hback VSX. Sometimes it would disappear for ages, only to re-appear on very large radius downhill bends on the autoroute... Eventually gets worse of course.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Vibration at speed, every few seconds....

Post by xantia_v6 »

jgra1 wrote:I have 3 new tyres, all balanced allegedly.. car has exclusive alloys..
Assuming that your exclusive alloys have no centre hole, I have found that many tyre shops cannot balance them correctly. The problem is that their adaptor does not centre the wheel correctly, so they balance the wheel mounted eccentrically on their machine, which is then out of balance when centred on the hub.

With one mobile tyre fitter, who insisted that he had balanced the wheel correctly, I made him remove the wheel from his adapter, rotate it though 180 degrees and recheck the balance, and it was well out.

There hare however some balancing adapters that do seem to centre the wheel properly, you just need to find one.
Downunder
My Cars:

vibration in Xantia

Post by Downunder »

I have had this vibration in my series I Xantia ever since I have owned it. It occurs under heavy acceleration. It has existed throughout many tyre changes so I don't believe it has anything to do with tyres. I thought it may have something to do with a drive shaft out of balance, so I changed the left hand side. No effect. So I put up with it. As it occurs under hard acceleration only, it is not a problem as I don't do that very often because it causes high fuel consumption. Problem solved - well sort of. I just keep wondering.....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: vibration in Xantia

Post by AndersDK »

Downunder wrote:... it may have something to do with a drive shaft out of balance, so I changed the left hand side. No effect ...
According to Murphys law, its always the opposite side that fails when you diagnose one sides wheel, CV joint, bearing, tyre, tie-rod etc ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
howzat
My Cars:

Vibration at speed

Post by howzat »

Assuming your tyres are all correctly balanced, the vibrations described can be caused by tyres which are slightly "out of round" or have varying sidewall stiffness. As tyres have slightly different sizes due to wear or different maufacturers, they run at slightly different speeds. The result is that the forces produced by the a/m defects move in and out of phase producing the varying vibration. Try jacking each wheel and rotating it against a fixed point to check for "runout".
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks all

John
Duracell
My Cars:

Post by Duracell »

I think Xantia_V6 is correct - If you have exclusive alloys then your problem is almost certainly a balance problem - your symptoms are identical to the problems I had with my exlusive every time I had tyres changed. I got so fed up with it that I bought aftermarket alloys. My wife has just had the same problem with her C5 - it took 2 returns to have the balancing redone before they got it right. I cant understand why Citroen continued to make centerless alloys

Good Luck
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

I'm interested to know what the outcome of this topic is - tyres or driveshaft? I noticed the same rythmic 'build and fade away' vibration driving the C5 along the Autoroute from Saumur recently. Those smooth French motorways sure do give you a chance to find all those wheezes, bangs and rattles.

I didn't notice it on the way down with only myself and the missus, but returning with three people plus luggage it somwhat spoiled an otherwise faultless trip. My first nervous thought was the dreaded DMF but a driveshaft seems equally likely - and cheaper!

jgra1 - any outcome?
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate