clutch cable????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

exminiman
My Cars:

clutch cable????

Post by exminiman »

driving home tonight I think the clutch cable went......I manged to get the car home (1.9td xantia estate 97r) and have de-energised the air bag taken off the steering wheel and removed the instruent cluster.. It looks like it has snapped right where it comes through the bulkhead, but i can only guess as i cant really get near the top of the pedal, just look through a small hole in the back of the dash. I seem to remember something about a clip that fails on these cars...Could this be it?if so how the flaming heck do I get to it? or more to the point if its the cable how can i possible get to that? The haynes manual is vague to say the least.....Any help would be much appriciated.....Dave
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Dave.

I am sorry to say that I would lay cash on the line to say that the cable is fine and the clip has bust.

Have a looksee at the top of the pedal with a maglite and you will see the plastic swivel bit at the very top of the pedal.

You will need to remove the pedal to change the clip, it is a very awkward job to do for the first time, although if you have done a few and have the knack, it can be changed in about 1/2 hour.

The clip is a cheapy from the main dealer, search the forum for doing the job, it has been ecplained several times on here and you will fine a few different methods, try and find the best for you.

Was the clutch heavy before the problem, as in my experience, the clip is more than capable of doing it's job, if the clutch is ok.

Regards.
Slim.

Tanned and back from the Med.
exminiman
My Cars:

Post by exminiman »

oh bugger.....thought it might be....the more i read the more I think my week end is spoken for now. Still at least wifey says I can use her r19 cabby for work...just my luck it`ll pour down..I`ll post my findings when or if i finish..
a good bolt is better than a bad weld anyday!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

All the gory info here:

Clutch clip 'mares
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you will need to arm yourself with loads of percywhatsit, with this you will get the bolt out without butchery or decapatating the it,

after the first half an hour of jigaling you might think there is no way on this planet it will come out without removeing the bodyshell, engine, box and petrol tank

i have done quite a few of these now without any of the above,

on refitting the pedle i always set the spring clip partly out of its seat, then very carefully feed the pedle back into place so as not to nudge the clip home,

now fit the bolt without the nut and engage the bullet end of the cable whilst liftting the pedle upwards, hold the pedle in this position whilst an assitant pushes the gear box end of the cable fully home, now with a long screw driver push the clip into place

regards malcolm
exminiman
My Cars:

Post by exminiman »

this is indeed a "mare" of the highest order. First I wiggled, then i waggled and then I questioned my cars parentage several times...Which is easier? pushing the brake pedal to the floor or lifting it up? Either way I just cant get enough clearance. Does any one know why they put it in that way at the factory? and more importantly, when reassembling it, can it go back in the "sensible" way????
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The cars seem to be a bitt different. Some will come out by lowering the brake pedal, some will come out by raising the brake pedal, some will come out by just twisting the pedal a bit to get the chamfer of the bolt past the bracket, and thence past the brake pedal. Others will need sawing off :roll:

Yes, refit the bolt the other way around when reassembling.

No idea why they fitted it this way round - maybe it makes more sense on LHD cars??
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe the manufature hopes the car will be scraped when things like this and heater matrix faill, also i find a deep 13mm socket on a ratchet will fit in from the centre consoul side and a long flat ring spanner the other end when undoing and re/fitting

regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its probably fitted before any of the dashboard and other trim is fitted - I expect if you'd looked at the line it would have taken 20 seconds!
jeremy
exminiman
My Cars:

Post by exminiman »

and pardon my thickness....but what does arming myself with plenty of percy whatsit mean?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

exminiman wrote:and pardon my thickness....but what does arming myself with plenty of percy whatsit mean?
Perspicacity?
Perseverance?
Persperation?

Or one of those in-jokes where you have too be a forum member for five years before they let you in on it :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it was ment as No. 2 in myglarens reply, but you might end up with No. 3 by the end of the job
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:
exminiman wrote:and pardon my thickness....but what does arming myself with plenty of percy whatsit mean?
Perspicacity?
Perseverance?
Persperation?

Or one of those in-jokes where you have too be a forum member for five years before they let you in on it :D
All three Steve :lol: :lol:

The only thing you don't need is Procastination.

I was so lucky the time I did a clip, the bolt was on the "right" side... Still not what I'd describe as a pleasant job though. Lying upside down in a footwell is not on my list of favourite things, especially when the door shuts on you and you find yourself trapped :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
exminiman
My Cars:

Post by exminiman »

That must be one of the most uncomfortable positions I have ever been in.....The bolt did come out...after pulling back the carpet and cutting away the sound deadening, it came out in the "push pedal through the chuffing bulkhead" position. I think I`ve answered my own question as to why its fitted that way round too. On my car at least, if it goes in the sensible way round, it could interfere with the brake pedal when tightened up, so a few washers on the head end of the bolt, or failing that hacksaw a few threads off the other end..Ialso "lost" the spring spacer for a good ten minutes..turns out it was playing hide and seek behind the plastic foot rest thingy under the carpet. I got a new clutch clip...WHAT A BLOODY RIP OFF!! Now I understand why people refer to them as MIAN STEALERS £9.22 inc vat but not incuding the metal spring clip bit!!! Thats an extra quid sir......."....hello is that ebay.........?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There does seem to ba a rather strange logic applied to spares, especially daft little things like that.
I usually apply the keyboard test.
You can buy a rubbish but workable keyboard for two quid.
A reasonable one for £6, a fairly decent one for £10-15.
If you really feel the need you can pay over £,1k.

But a six quid keboard will function well for years, is far and away more complex than the part you just bought, has far more working parts and manufacturing steps and in most cases you don't have to spend three hours upside down breaking your back to fit it.

Be nice it they could spell, of course :D

Edited for spelling :cry: