auxilliary belt problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

casperdog2
My Cars:

auxilliary belt problem

Post by casperdog2 »

I have a 97 xantia with air con, the hyd pump seems to be out of line, and as a result my belt only lasts a couple of thousand miles, my question is could it have the wrong sprocket on, also is there a way to ajust the pump, as I say its only 1/8 out but its enough to cut one ribs worth of belt,there is the number 2.02 on the top of the pump and I was wondering if this meant when it was made :x
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You dont mention the engine type in your Xantia ?

It is possible the pump has been replaced some time during the life of your Xantia. As there are several variants of the pump which includes different offsets in the mounting base, chances are you simply have the wrong pump fitted.

Unfortunately the pumps dont have any terminal identifications as part no stamped on the pump body :roll:
You will have to get a correct pump for immediate in-situ comparison to identify your pump.

You must inform your exact engine type, as this together with a/c or not decides the pump variant.

PS : make sure the pumpbody is not cracked in the mounting base - and any bolts are correctly fitted and tight.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Usually, the reason for belts running out of line and having a short life is a problem with the tensioner(s). Rarely is anything being driven out of line, particularly the hydraulic pump or alternator as there is no lateral adjustment on them.

As Anders says, to know the exact model will help in giving some more specific advice. Once we know your model, there is some very specific advice that can be given to determine the cause of this problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
casperdog2
My Cars:

auxilliary belt

Post by casperdog2 »

Thanks for the reply lads, I was hoping that I could change the sprocket, but its never easy is it, anyway the engine is a 1900td uxd9te. I will have to get one from somewhere, ebay or a breakers if its the wrong pump. shame as its spot on. :(
when in doubt get a bigger hammer
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

I had a similar problem a few years ago and it was the spring loaded bearing which had collapsed causing the problem.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.