Jump starting the Hdi's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C.J.
My Cars:

Jump starting the Hdi's

Post by C.J. »

I was in a garage the other day, and the owner was telling me some horror stories about using these jump start packs.
Apparently on the Vectra 2.2, if you use one, it'll 'spike' the ECU, probably beyond repair. They managed to reset it via the diagnostics in his case, but he was very lucky apparently. Only affects this particular engine in the Vauxhall range though.
Apparently this is quite common with quite a few modern cars now. Does this include the PSA Hdi range I wonder?

What causes this anyway, and should we all be wary about their use? :?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Its not the jump packs that cause this, its their incorrect use. It can do exactly the same using jump leads.
If a battery is completely dischaged & you jumpstart it with a boost pack (or jump leads) then remove the leads as soon as its running the completely drained battery tries to absorb all the current very rapidly & can create a surge & spike some ECU's. unfortunately some ECU's are more sensitive to this than others i.e. later model corsas where the fault appears a few days after jumpstarting & new mercedes models where it can blow the SAM unit (kind of like a BSI).
The jump packs should be left on for 5 minutes after starting, before removing the leads switch on the heater blowers & heated screen to absorb some current.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

wheeler wrote:Its not the jump packs that cause this, its their incorrect use. It can do exactly the same using jump leads.
If a battery is completely dischaged & you jumpstart it with a boost pack (or jump leads) then remove the leads as soon as its running the completely drained battery tries to absorb all the current very rapidly & can create a surge & spike some ECU's. unfortunately some ECU's are more sensitive to this than others i.e. later model corsas where the fault appears a few days after jumpstarting & new mercedes models where it can blow the SAM unit (kind of like a BSI).
The jump packs should be left on for 5 minutes after starting, before removing the leads switch on the heater blowers & heated screen to absorb some current.
Now that is interesting and very informative.

Must admit I'm one of the guilty ones, having always taken the leads off without hesitation.
Presume this doesn't apply to non fitted ECU cars, such as my AX GT?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

C.J. wrote:Presume this doesn't apply to non fitted ECU cars, such as my AX GT?
You still have electronic ignition units and any radio/alarm fitted. These are prone to suffer the same defects.
Even your alternator may blow up from such unfortunate events.
(but commonly the load may make them stall for a second with a squealing belt)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image