xantia suspension 1999 td facelift model

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia 1.9td 1999

xantia suspension 1999 td facelift model

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

Hi

IS THE FOLLOWING SCENARIO NORM?????????????????

The front end of my car often drops on start up. It doesnt gradually drop but just drops on turning the key as it fires up!! it also makes noise. Is this normal?

My spheres and fluid were changed about 25000miles ago.

Also how do you know if the suspension / spheres need replacing. i have read that when the ride becomes stiff. How does 1 know?

Regards
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi -

Either the main accumulator sphere is flat - or the front anti-sink valve may be defective.
My money is on the main accumulator.

The suspension is surprisingly VERY easy to check :

With engine running idle, handbrake applied and normal height selected, press down each corner of the car. It should be possible to press down the front some 2" and the rear approx 3" - even bottoming out the rear.
Just like any "normal" soft sprung car.
If any corner feels hard or only feels like its the tyre alone providing some softness - you have a flat suspension sphere - on that wheels cylinder.
To make sure you get a safe drive, you always replace the spheres in pairs - i.e. both spheres on one axle - like you would do shockers on any other suspension system.

You must be specific on your car model, year & location on car - to get the correct spheres for exactly your Xantia model.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
xantia 1.9td 1999

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

AndersDK wrote:Hi -

Either the main accumulator sphere is flat - or the front anti-sink valve may be defective.
My money is on the main accumulator.

The suspension is surprisingly VERY easy to check :

With engine running idle, handbrake applied and normal height selected, press down each corner of the car. It should be possible to press down the front some 2" and the rear approx 3" - even bottoming out the rear.
Just like any "normal" soft sprung car.
If any corner feels hard or only feels like its the tyre alone providing some softness - you have a flat suspension sphere - on that wheels cylinder.
To make sure you get a safe drive, you always replace the spheres in pairs - i.e. both spheres on one axle - like you would do shockers on any other suspension system.

You must be specific on your car model, year & location on car - to get the correct spheres for exactly your Xantia model.

Hi. I have checked the suspension and it seems fine i.e. i can easily push doen about 2" each side without too much trouble. Where is the main accumulator sphere located and can this be checked?

Also where are the front anti-sink valves located and can these be checked/assessed? Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The anti-sink valve is under the LHM tank, but in this case is OK. What is wrong with your car is that the accumulator is flat - this is what is happening:

At switch off there is no reserve of pressure (acc flat) so the anti sink valve closes quickly after engine shut off. However, the front height corrector will call for the car to lower after you get out, but this will not happen since the A/S valve is shut. This will drain the pressure from the feed side of the HC. When you start the engine, the acc is repressurised - since it is flat, this will take place very quickly, as there is no nitrogen to compress. This will open the A/S valve and whoosh all the pressure stored in front suspension is dumped out to the system, and the front height falls. Normal service is then resumed as the system repressurises the front to normal height. The noise (a sort of groaning noise?) is one of the pipes vibrating against the bulk head, and happens when height correction occurs when the A/S valve is partially open - I think there were several Citroen bodges to get around this, but they never really worked - my 2001 HDi still does it!

Flat accumulator can be diagnosed by continuous frequent clicking from the regulator (attaced to the front of the gearbox, accumulator attached in turn to it). Can be tricky to hear over the XUD rattle - but much worse when you ask for a suspenion height change. They're easy enough to change from underneath (on ramps!) on a 1.9TD - after you get the undertray off.

Note that a flat accumulator means you have no reserve brake pressure in the event of a fluid failure, so should be replaced ASAP - it also puts a strain on the pump and pipework if it's constantly ticking.
Richard W
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To check for a flat accumulator you can do the 'sit in the boot' test.

Start the car on level ground - let it get to normal height and idle for a couple of minutes. Turn off the engine and sit in the boot. The car should sink a long way - then after 20 or 30 seconds rise to its normal height powered by the accumulator.

It should do exactly the same with the engine running.

If it doesn't rise with the engine off - the accumulator is flat!
jeremy
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It seems that when many garages say they've replaced the spheres, they only mean the suspension ones fitted to the corners of the car, and forget about the others (course you won't notice the a/s or accumulator sphere being a bit low in the same way as you would the suspension spheres so they can get away with it)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool