Xsara 1.4 L (01) - Clutch Pedal, Timing Belt & Mirror

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

autocrazy

Xsara 1.4 L (01) - Clutch Pedal, Timing Belt & Mirror

Post by autocrazy »

Hi All

I am a new member to the forum, have just purchased a 2001 Xsara 1.4i L

When I test drove the car yesterday, the Clutch pedal came across at pretty hard to operate. I don't think this is normal on Xsara's as it is almost unacceptably hard.

However when engaged, it works fine, with good pick up and cruise (clutch not slipping). I can think of the following problems, but will help if experienced Xsara owners can help me out.

1. Is it Clutch cable jamming?
2. Could it be Clutch pressure plate?

The previous owner has has it ever since he bought it (18 months ago) and says he got used to it, but since my wife intends to drive this car, I don't think she will find it acceptable.

Also two other quick questions I want to ask

1. There is no service history on the car and it has covered 65000 odd miles. What is the recommended miles at which the timing belt needs changing? If I have to do it, what would be the approximate cost (belt + labour)

2. The near side electric mirror is stuck by a tape, but still functions. How difficult is it to replace the NS electric mirror and where do I source one, how much will it cost.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum Autocrazy :D

Having just replaced a clutch on a similarly TU engined Saxo, I can confirm the clutch should be nice and light. Heaviness is usually a sign it is on it's way out unfortunately. Rarely is the cable the cause of heaviness although a check is worthwhile. Disconnect the cable at the gearbox and pull it to and fro to see if it's tight or binding. It should be easy to pull the clutch pedal up from the floor by gently pulling on the end of the cable.

Luckily, a clutch change on the little TU engined cars is pretty straightforward and hold no particular traps. Access is good and the 'box is relatively light.

The cambelt should be changed at least at the mileage you are now on and preferably much sooner. I'd play safe and say at about 35,000 miles. If you have no record of having it done, I'd get it done ASAP and whilst you are there, swap the water pump and tensioner(s). It's false economy not to do the water pump at the same time as it's driven by the cambelt and likes to fail about two weeks after a belt change otherwise. A cambelt in these engines (especially the 8V version) is dead straightforward, as is the water pump so if you need to have it done, it should not break the bank. 16V TU engines are a bit more involved when changing the cambelt but not much more so.

To replace the door mirror, it is likely you'll have to remove the door card (door interior trim) to get at the fixing screws and electrical connections. The card will be held on by "poppers", the screws holding the door handle on and perhaps a screw or two hidden under the speaker grille.

A scrapyard may well be able to provide. New replacement electric mirrors are rather pricey from Citroen.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
autocrazy

Post by autocrazy »

Hi.

I got my car yesterday drover it approx. 150 miles. The car pulls well in all gears, so I do not think the clutch is worn, it is more about the heaviness and stickiness of the clutch peda/cable and it freeplay adjustment, as I invariably keep stalling it in first gear! No judder, no slipping over gradients. Am going to a mechanic tomorrow to have it checked.

I shall also discuss Cambelt change with my mechanic, as long as he charges me under £ 100 for the job, I shall give it to him! Will also ask him about the tensioners and water pump (but do they fail that often?). The car ran brilliantly yesterday, with no over heating whatsoever.

Funny thing I noticed about the mirror - the RH mirror is manual adjustment (may be the previous owner has changed it!) and the LH one is taped, but works well. They are not top priority at the moment, so when I find a Xsara being broken in a scrap yard close enough will try and get them cheap!

There is a very minor leak of power steering fluid, any experiences or know problems that can be fixed, else I will keep topping it up once a month!

The hand brake only notches and locks when pulled up far enough. It has so much play 3/4 the way. Should it be sorted by hand brake cable adjustment or will need more?

Thanks in advance for all the brilliant advice 'citrojim' has provided. Request more members to contribute.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Some Citroens have an electric mirror on the passenger side only, presumably on the logic that you can reach the driver's one. If your car left the factory with an electric driver's mirror there should still be a switch for it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its worth having a look at the GSF and Eurocarparts websites as they may stock electric mirrors at good prices. - They used to for BX and ZX.

Electric mirrors are common for passenger side only - the theory is that you need the power to adjust the passenger one from the drivers seat - but a manual control is all that's needed for the driver's one.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Jim said on the clutch 99% certain it needs a new one, most of the cit/pugs get like this when the clutch is near the end of its life,

trouble is if you keep useing it like this it will put strain on other components,

also i have always thought the cam belt should be replaced at 72k on most of the cit/pugs of this sort of age,

and as for water pump i did one on a TU engine a year or two ago and it was seized solid into the block, as the body goes quite a way into the block, i had to hack it out a bit at a time, lovely job, but in saying that they normaly come out without any problem at all

regards malcolm