xantia 1.9td notchy gear change after clutch replaced

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia 1.9td 1999

xantia 1.9td notchy gear change after clutch replaced

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

Hi to you all, i am new the website and have found many useful articles, thanking you guys kindly.

Can someone help? I have recently had my clutch replaced (14-June-2008 engine 1.9TD 1999). The clucth operates very smoothly in comparison to what it was, very good. However, the gearchange has become very stiff, i.e. as i drive off in 1st and try chaging into 2nd it refuses initially to come out of 1st, this seems to be intermittant. The gearchange on whole has become poor, its not smooth as it was.

The garage chap replaced the gearbox oil, i am not sure which type, does it make a difference which type or perhaps brand?

Also the clutch cable has not been replaced again should this make a difference?

Also, it seems like that the gearchange is much better when the car warms up, i am saying this after only 1 drive into work and will confirm that this is definately the situ after a few more drives back and forth.

Any help would be kindly appreciated. Kind reagrds
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It is indeed important that the correct (and rather uncommon) grade of gearbox oil is used, to avoid problems just like this.
I'd check first on what oil was actually used. If the repairer used his 'one type suits all' oil, that's probably the trouble!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Welcome on board J.D.

The clutch pedal must have adequate travel. Factory setting is 140mm above carpet/mat level.
Because of the RHD layout, the cable is known to groove into its outer sheating in the bends, making for a heavy pedal.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Both oil and clutch adjustment are critical for good changes.

As Dnsey says, it is more than likely the garage has used the wrong oil and these 'boxes are fussy. Only 75W/80 oil should be used and on no account EP90 which a lot of garages like to chuck in :evil: It makes the gearchange stiff in summer and impossible in winter. In extreme cases, it can also cause damage.

75W/80 is not always easy to get hold of. Not all factors stock it. One very good one is Comma 75W/80 and it states clearly on the bottle it is for "Certain Peugeot and Citroen gearboxes"

Do check the clutch adjustment as Anders say as shortly after a clutch change, some bedding-in takes place and readjustment is needed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Another thing to check, particularly as the clutch has been changed recently, is to ensure the four bellhousing bolts are tight. Although rare, they have been known to work loose, especially the one down by the final drive that bolts "backwards" into the bellhousing.

If they work loose they will affect gear engagement. A remote chance but worth a quick look.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia 1.9td 1999

citrojim wrote:Another thing to check, particularly as the clutch has been changed recently, is to ensure the four bellhousing bolts are tight. Although rare, they have been known to work loose, especially the one down by the final drive that bolts "backwards" into the bellhousing.

If they work loose they will affect gear engagement. A remote chance but worth a quick look.
Excellent! i really appreciate all the advise, i will be checking the clutch to make sure its sighting correctly 140mm off the floor and also will return to the garage tomorrow to asertain what oil has been used. Also is the cable self adjusting on a xantia. Iv only had it a couple of months maybe alittle longer, dont know much about them technically other than i really love the drive and also that it runs really nice on biodiesel.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote: it runs really nice on biodiesel.
Try it on straight vegetable oil :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
xantia 1.9td 1999

AndersDK wrote:Welcome on board J.D.

The clutch pedal must have adequate travel. Factory setting is 140mm above carpet/mat level.
Because of the RHD layout, the cable is known to groove into its outer sheating in the bends, making for a heavy pedal.

Hello

I checked the pedal yesterday after work. i will try and explain the best i can...........WHICH POINT DO YOU USE AS A REFERENCE TO CHECK THE HEIGHT?........The reason for asking: the padel point nearest to the seat folds down and the point further away closer to the engine is kind of stepped up, I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE.

Anyway, the height was about 140mm at the furthest point and this was the very top of the 'foot pedal rubber pad' not the bottom of the pad.
And the point which is closest to the drivers seat was maybe 120mm. HELP?
xantia 1.9td 1999

Xac wrote:
Hi

Do you run it on SVO or WVO. Because if its 'Straight Veg Oil' off the shelf it works out the same as me buying biodeisel well at least until i start making my own. Happy days to come.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote: Anyway, the height was about 140mm at the furthest point and this was the very top of the 'foot pedal rubber pad' not the bottom of the pad.
And the point which is closest to the drivers seat was maybe 120mm. HELP?
I've always measured 6 inches (can't cope with these mm things :lol: ) from the top middle of the pedal so if you are getting 140mm there it's near as dammit right enough.

The more important thing is to determine where the bite point is. If it's about half-way up it'll be fine. I normally adjust again to get the bite point where I like it after doing the initial adjustment by measuring the pedal. Bite point is a personal thing but you certainly don't want it right down on the floor..
Jim

killie77
My Cars:

Post by killie77 »

Hi
ben following this thread as I have a Xsara with what I think is a heavy Clutch Pedal.. Is their a way of adjusting the Clutch cable ?
I thougt they were self adjusting ?
Thanks
Ian.H
Xsara 1.9TD X 88000 Miles
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantia 1.9td 1999 wrote:
Xac wrote:
Hi

Do you run it on SVO or WVO. Because if its 'Straight Veg Oil' off the shelf it works out the same as me buying biodeisel well at least until i start making my own. Happy days to come.
SVO from costco, 87.5ppl
Cheapest supermarket source has been pura from tesco (used to be 56ppl) now at 107ppl

I've read that biodiesel isn't very nice to cars (reports of it stripping the lining of the fuel tank), and is more hydroscopic than SVO.
Last edited by Xaccers on 16 Jun 2008, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

killie77 wrote: I thougt they were self adjusting ?
Later ones are I believe Ian. The way to check is to look at the end of the cable at the gearbox end. If no adjustment nuts are apparant on the end of the cable then it's self adjusting.

Adjustment is very unlikely to make a difference to the heaviness, only where it bites. On a pull clutch, heaviness is a sign of wear and replacement is the only sure answer.

As a guide, a good 1.9TD clutch should be very, very, incredibly light. As light, say, as a little Saxo.
Jim

xantia 1.9td 1999

I've always measured 6 inches (can't cope with these mm things :lol: ) from the top middle of the pedal so if you are getting 140mm there it's near as dammit right enough.

Hi

Thanks again chap...The bite point is roughly in the middle, i hope its the gearbox oil and not a faulty clutch etc. Like i said previously, it does seem to get slightly better after it warms up! So fingers crossed its the oil.
The machanic reckons its a faulty clutch i hope his wrong, did try and explain to him that these cars require the comma 75/80 or Total BV oil. I am still trying to ascertain which oil he used. AGAIN FINGERS CROSSED ITS THE OIL!

HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM!!![/quote]
xantia 1.9td 1999

[/quote]SVO from costco, 87.5ppl
Cheapest supermarket source has been pura from tesco (used to be 56ppl) now at 107ppl

I've read that biodiesel isn't very nice to cars (reports of it stripping the lining of the fuel tank), and is more hydroscopic than SVO.[/quote]

hI

Where did you read this, can you forward a link to me, I have been using biodeisel for a few months now and my friends have been using it for a year with no problems. Hence we have recently decided to make our own, obviously pump prices are ridiculous!!!! Regards