Working fans!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Working fans!

Post by RichardW »

No question here, just an observation... :lol:

Was on hol last week - heading up to the Highlands got stuck in a traffic jam near Stirling. Was pretty hot - temp was reading 30+ - but I guess about 25/26 in reality. For various reason the A/C was switched off, eventually SWMBO relented and we switched it on. Engine temp was about 100°C (HDi seems to be allowed to run hotter before the fans come on). A/C comes on, including the low speed fans, then a few minutes later there's a noticable voltage dip and a huge roar from the front of the car: fans on high. Holy cow! You could hear them over the radio, the whole car was vibrating a bit, and you nearly had to hold it on the foot brake to stop it moving forward :shock: Dropped the temp back to normal 85°C in about 30s though, then normal low speed operation resumed 8) I suspect that the A/C gas is low, so probably ended up with high discharge pressure on the compressor - or the Bitron decided the temp wasn't coming down fast enough, and needed some extra 'help'. Certainly the first time I am aware of getting high speed fans on! Must get it in and get the A/C recharged.

On another note, reminded that the HDi is a joy to drive on the open road - plenty of grunt for getting past the 40mph numpties, and with new track rod ends and the new Goodyear Hydragrips on the front, nice and secure handling. Hoping it will last 6 years up to 200k without breaking my wallet :)
Richard W
rowanmoor
My Cars:

Post by rowanmoor »

Just be thankful you haven't got my current issue of the fans intermittently comming on at full speed from 70 degrees up - yes before the thermostats have opened :(

Must get round to investigating it properly.
Cheers,
Rowan.