1997 306 Diesel non runner

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sturdybloke

1997 306 Diesel non runner

Post by Sturdybloke »

Posting this on behalf of someone on another forum I am on. He bought a 97' ph2 306 diesel. And it wont start. Here is the post -

"I got offered a cheap 306 diesel the other day and the mrs decided she liked it and so not being one to argue with her i bought it. needs a new bumper and a polish and also needed a fuel pump fitted (second hand one included in sale price)

1 fuel pump, water pump, timing belt and tensioner later and were almost good to go engine wise.
BUT it wont bleed through to the injectors. Can get fuel to the pump no problem but it just wont go any further
."

Little bit more info -

"tis a 1997 ph2 (although i think its ph3 headlights) so no keypad. Engine turns over alright, can get fuel right up to the pump no probs but after that im just getting a trickle and even that is takin some doing. i know these things have got a solenoid in the pump (something to do with the immob) but i dunno what activates/de-activates the immob, if its a chipped key then that looks like its going to be my problem, key was stored in a secure location (ontop of the front drivers wheel) for the best part of a year so thinking its going to be rotten inside. If im honest i was totally fed up with it today so when the battery died after a couple mins i gave up and started tinkering with my r/c nitro."

Sounds like the transponder in the key is shot imo and it won't release the immobiliser. Im not to clued up on 306's so I thought I would post it here. Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks in advance.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If there is no keypad, then its got to be the key transponder coil aerial setup. A very common PSA problem and certainly worth trying.

There is one basic test that can be done : the diesel startgas method. If this can fire up and shortly run the engine, its got to be in good basic running condition with cam, crank & valves timed correctly - besides basically sound compression.
Only thing is the pump can not be checked this way.

Try contact a dealer on how to obtain a new functional transponder key as this may be the terminal solution.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Also,

the pump will have the solenoid in. Lock pump sprocket with 2 M8 bolts, take pump off (4 nuts/bolts) remove fuel lines and electrics. - scribe position of pump

Then basically you need to remove the bits on the rear of pump.... burgular proof bits.. when I did it I dont remember it being a complete pig job.. maybe i was lucky..

once thats out of way, stick in a normal solenoid and run a feed from maybe glowplug circuits, and all is well again :lol:

search on fuel pump and imobiliser or some such..

John
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Thanks chaps, have passed the info onto the owner. Will update when it gets running and what it was

Cheers
greg123
My Cars:

Re: 1997 306 Diesel non runner

Post by greg123 »

If it's a standard bosch/lucas IP pump, check voltage to the shut of solonoid while ignition is on, if no voltage 'hotwire' to test the system, have the vehicle code read/immob investigated regarding the key.

Greg.
Sturdybloke wrote:Posting this on behalf of someone on another forum I am on. He bought a 97' ph2 306 diesel. And it wont start. Here is the post -

"I got offered a cheap 306 diesel the other day and the mrs decided she liked it and so not being one to argue with her i bought it. needs a new bumper and a polish and also needed a fuel pump fitted (second hand one included in sale price)

1 fuel pump, water pump, timing belt and tensioner later and were almost good to go engine wise.
BUT it wont bleed through to the injectors. Can get fuel to the pump no problem but it just wont go any further
."

Little bit more info -

"tis a 1997 ph2 (although i think its ph3 headlights) so no keypad. Engine turns over alright, can get fuel right up to the pump no probs but after that im just getting a trickle and even that is takin some doing. i know these things have got a solenoid in the pump (something to do with the immob) but i dunno what activates/de-activates the immob, if its a chipped key then that looks like its going to be my problem, key was stored in a secure location (ontop of the front drivers wheel) for the best part of a year so thinking its going to be rotten inside. If im honest i was totally fed up with it today so when the battery died after a couple mins i gave up and started tinkering with my r/c nitro."

Sounds like the transponder in the key is shot imo and it won't release the immobiliser. Im not to clued up on 306's so I thought I would post it here. Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Tdi VAG mechanic & vegoil converter