Xantia RH Driveshaft Hub Nut Size.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Xantia RH Driveshaft Hub Nut Size.

Post by Keith J »

Hello,

I wonder if one of you lovely people can please tell me what size the Hub nut on a 96 Xantia 1.9Td is please? Non Abs.

My 32mm Socket (The biggest I have), fits the nut on the replacement shaft I want to fit but not the one on the car which is bigger. So I am going to have to buy another socket. I am guessing it's about 38mm. My driveshaft has the R clip in and the little metal cover over the hub nut.

I am now concerned I have the wrong driveshaft (Pattern part), but won't really know until I can get the existing nut off and count splines etc.

Oh the joys of motoring.

Thanks in advance.

Keith
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Many Citroen & Peugeot models shares the same type of driveshafts.
If you exclude the various lengths of the shaft itself, there are in fact only very few different types.
I have seen myself that pattern/recon units may have different size nuts. However the threading should be the same such its possible to re-use the old nut.

Same may also be true for droplinks, tierods, swivel joints etc.

The genuine nut hex size is 36mm.
Note there is a catellated locknut covering the axle nut. Once you have removed the clip, the catellated nut should simply slide off.

(for reference the rear hubnut is 41mm hexsize)
Last edited by AndersDK on 07 Jun 2008, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thank you for your reply Anders, that at least helps to settle my mind. Does anyone know the Citroen hub nut size in mm please. I believe that it is the original driveshaft.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Note my edited answer -

My guess is, that your next question may well be on the torque figure for the hubnut ?
This is 27kg/m = 195lbf/ft = approx how hard you possibly can do it with a ½m T-bar handle 8)

(for reference its the same torque figure on the rear hubnut)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Anders said hub nut size is 36mm, but a T bar is not enough torque, i use a 2 foot 1/2inch drive knukle bar as tight as you can but still line up the R clip holes
regards malcolm
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Sorry. I somehow read right past Anders mention of a 36mm socket.

I have a 2.5 foot piece of scaffold tube that fits over my scoket handle just nicely.

Thank you guys for your help.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The hub nut is actually 35mm, but a 6 sided 36mm will fit OK. Torque is only 150lbf ft I think - I (200lb of me!) just stand on the breaker bar, with it horizontal, about 10" from the nut to get the 'right' torque. However, if it's been off before and been tightened up with the windy gun set to max, getting it undone can be a trial....
Richard W
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

I expect it to be a trial as Mr Clutch changed the clutch before Xmas and I believe that the driveshafts need removal to do that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Keith J wrote:I expect it to be a trial as Mr Clutch changed the clutch before Xmas and I believe that the driveshafts need removal to do that.
No, no need to remove the driveshafts from the hubs, just disconnect the lower swivel joints and the driveshafts will pull clear of the 'box to allow it to come off.

Knowing the amount of work needed to do a Xantia clutch, how much did Mr. Clutch charge?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Mr Clutch charged an excruciating £380 or thereabouts. I am a DJ and needed the car at christmas time, I also didn't relish doing the job myself as I have heard of the horrors of a Xantia clutch change. When I owned Sierras I would quite happily tackle a clutch change alone on those.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Keith, they can be fun :twisted: although one gets better with practice and some can be right devils whilst others can be straightforward. No telling until you're deep into it. :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Keith,

I've just finishing changing the lower ball joint on the hub on my Xantia by removing the hub etc the hub nut came away no problem with a good breaker bar and a 6' scaffolding pole.
As Richard mention the hub size is 35mm.

All the best

kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks everybody.

KennyW why did you have to remove the hub to do the lower balljoint? I did my one in situ with no problem.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its easy to do one side swivel joint without removing the hub i belive the N/S, but the other side (O/S) i think tends to try and pull the shaft out at the intermediate triack joint when putting force on to undoo the swivel, so i find sometimes its easyer to have the hub in a large vice
regards malcolm
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Fair enough. You people have a great deal more experience working on Citroens than I do. I just wondered.