LHM level float stuck....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

LHM level float stuck....

Post by vince »

I read on here somewhere that the floats get stuck in the glass guages...

Can they be freed off? I dont know if the LHM is overfilled or whether the guage is just stuck.

Also whilst im on.....the rev counter in mine doesnt work.....is the crank position sensor hard to change and is it a common fail or do they get earth problems anywhere....?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: LHM level float stuck....

Post by DickieG »

vince wrote:I read on here somewhere that the floats get stuck in the glass guages...

Can they be freed off? I dont know if the LHM is overfilled or whether the guage is just stuck.

Also whilst im on.....the rev counter in mine doesnt work.....is the crank position sensor hard to change and is it a common fail or do they get earth problems anywhere....?
Are you checking the level with the suspension set at it highest setting with the engine running?

AFAIK the CPS sensor is a common failure but I've not had experience of this personally.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

some people on here say the float can get stuck, but i dont belive it is possible, i allways find that some hydraulic citroen owners dont understand how this indicator works, so they tend to over fill the tank by a long way, the first thing i would do is start the engine, put suppension on the highest setting with car on level ground, now syphon the citro blood off till the float drops and the yellow disc comes between the two red bands,

you might have to take a litre or so of LHM out

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm with Malcolm here.

Remove the cap and have a peep in the reservoir. It might well be brimmed.
No consequence - except that the float is constantly held tight against its top.

AND the risc of green messy greasy spots on your driveway (from reservoir overflow when the suspension sinks down and returns all fluid to the reservoir).
If that happens - treat the driveway with engine cleaner.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

yes it has been checked with it on highest setting...

i will syphon some out thanks...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

I'm certain that it can get stuck as it did on my GSA. The revealing day was when the fluid was changed. Removing the filter block from the tank and removing the tank from the car for cleaning revealed that the float was still stuck at the 'full' position and no amount of tapping at the plastic clear dome would free it. In the end it turned out that the previous owner had bumped the clear dome/gauge hard with something and it was not parallel to the stroke of the float disk. It was jammed nicely at the top but this out of alignment was invisible to casual inspection - you really had to remove it and look hard to see that the dome was not straight. So beware of this too.

Funnily, on the CX, I'd bumped the LHM tank hauling the spare tyre back into the engine room and the same clear dome was banged against the bonnet seal. It popped off and fell down behind the tank, recovered I attempted to refit it to the top of the tank (it's seemingly a press-fit) but it will not refit so far!
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well you learn something new every day, all the years i have worked on and around citroens i have never seen a float which was actualy stuck, and not just due to to much citro blood

regards malcolm
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

My old Xantia spent months stood on a driveway on quite a steep slope, and being a 93 model it sank down after a few hours = long periods with the float at the uppermost point due to the tank being full of fluid. A sharp (but light) tap with the car in high on level ground gave a true reading.

If your Xantia is used every day I would agree with everyone else and say that to much LHM is in the reservoir