Normal sunspension behaviour?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C.J.
My Cars:

Normal sunspension behaviour?

Post by C.J. »

So what is 'normal healthy' suspension behaviour on the Xantai then?

Just been out for it's first longish run with the family for an aborted trip to the Tatton Park classic car show....bloody weather. Absolutely fuming, as it's a damned good show if the weather is fair to good, but hell in the mud. :x

First stop, and came back 25 minutes later to find the suspension had gone UP! :shock:
2nd stop and it made some groaning noises and went down, more so at the back than the front :?
3rd stop and it was ready to drive away in its normal position, and that was after a 90 minute snoop around the Mouldsworth transport museum.

No bounciness, so IF it's not right, it's not the sheres I presume, or are these changing behaviour patterns all quite normal?
Absolutely no clicking at all btw.
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

What you describe doesnt sound normal per say if you havent moved the height adjuster in the car, but it doesnt necessarily point to something horrible.

Groaning i presume is down to dry joints or pivot points. Does the car get aerobic'd regularily and lubed? The rear axle bearings being worn apparently leads to clicking so if thats not present then potentially rule that out.

How is the level of the LHM? do you have any leaks anywhere? Did you move the height adjuster then knock off the ignition?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The suspension can do all manner of strange things and what you describe might well be normal depending on circumstances.

Going up is quite possible. Say four people get out and the car is lighter and will rise. Shoud the anti-sink valves snap shut before the height correctors have a chance to do their thing, it will stay high.

Parking up with the front wheels at near full-lock will cause the front to rise.

Even with anti-sink valves, it is not unusual for the car to sink sometimes and stay up at other times. It all depends on how it is feeling. Sometimes just leaning on it or popping something weighty in the boot will make it sink. Also it might sink/rise if parked on a slope.

Have you noticed yet how it sinks as you fill it up with fuel? If you lean on the car it feels mighty funny and even funnier if the accumulator is in good nick and it corrects itself whilst you are still filling :lol:

Groaning is almost invariably caused by the front struts needing lubrication on their rams. Set the suspension on high, pull down the strut gaiters (not easy) and apply thin grease to the exposed shiny strut pistons. There is no need to do the rear struts as they are self-lubricated by LHM leakage; the front struts are the only part of the hydraulic system not lubricated by working leakage.

I'd give the height corrector linkages a good clean and lubricate to rule out any stiffness there causing a problem and then test the efficiency of the accumulator sphere by switching off and then immediately sitting on the boot sill. The car will sink and if the accumulator is good, it'll rise again using pressure stored in the accumulator. A good accumulator will do this twice.

If it won't rise on this test, the accumulator is weak and should be replaced. This'll go a long way to resolving it's other behaviour too. A weak accumulator will cause the anti-sink valves to shut much sooner than a good, healthy acumulator so height corrections triggered by passengers alighting cannot take place.

Granny suck eggs time: When cleaning and lubricating the height corrector linkages, you need to get right under the car. NEVER venture under a hydraulic Citroen unless it well supported on axle stands, over a pit or on a ramp. They can suddenly sink (especially when working around height correctors) and crush/kill you. Take great care.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

A note on the boot test, if you're a bit chunky (like me) and weigh 20stone, it's not likely to lift you up, so find someone smaller to do the test for you :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool