Xantia clutch clip in steel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Hi, did a search and couldn't find what I needed. I believe that you can buy a steel version of the clutch clip that breaks on a Xantia pedal (I've seen it referred to as a Pingf**kit, because it goes ping and you say F**kit).

Can anyone please point me to where you can buy them in the UK? Thanks very much.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

from what ive heard Keith there was a company down south way who were making them but they were apparently snapping the cables instead so they have stopped making them for now.

Not sure if thats right but is what i was told recently by one of my Xantia owning customers.

He also told me that if you remove the guide tube that the cable passes through and the clip locates up against? then that stops the clips breaking.....again i havent done it myself but you hear a few DIY fixes when you work in the parts game :wink:
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks for the info. Someone I know asked me to find out. I mentioned the steel clips a few months ago, now he would like one.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

vince wrote:...but they were apparently snapping the cables instead so they have stopped making them for now.
:shock: And the cable itself is not exactly flimsy.

Fact is, a good 1.9TD clutch should be as light as a feather. If it is at all heavy, and heavy enough to snap a cable, there is an underlying problem which needs to be resolved.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Following on from what Jim says, and the fact you say you arent getting any noticeable clutch operational problems, i presume the only problems that there could be is either a worn pressure plate or release bearing. That way the clutch will operate as normal, but it will be stiffer than normal.

Not really much you can do about those other than change the clutch...if you did the release bearing, whilst your doing that you might aswell do the clutch :roll:

I know when i get a Xantia...if and when it needs a clutch, its getting either a Valeo one or an LUK one.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

My clutch is heavy on my Xant2 as well---no slipping, etc--just put it down to that stupid pull type clutch. It's easier to push something than pull. I did my 16v clutch-nearly did for me-, but would like to see if ordinary push type could be used instead when faced with 1.9td clutch change.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

vince wrote:I know when i get a Xantia...if and when it needs a clutch, its getting either a Valeo one or an LUK one.
Good thinking Vince. I replaced my 1.9TD clutch because it was heavy (but actually more so because one of the nylon clutch release shaft bushes had broken up) and I assumed they were all heavy because every other 1.9TD engined car I'd driven had a heavy clutch, notably a friends 306 D Turbo and a few other Xantias as well as my last 405TD.

I used new nylon bushes and a Citroen branded Valeo kit. I honestly thought I'd not done the job right because the clutch was so, so light afterward. It was so light that I had to check that it was actually releaseing and engaging before I risked starting it up. I did not believe it was.

I swear it was lighter than the hydraulic clutches on my 2.1 and Activa and they are light.

I should have known better though as I experienced the same when I replaced the clutch in dad's 205D. The old one was as heavy as Radio 3 and the new one as light as a light thing. Again a Valeo clutch kit.

The acid test will come later this week when we do Xac's clutch on his 1.9TD. I've asked him to get new nylon bushes and recommended he gets a Valeo or LUK kit.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citrojim wrote: The acid test will come later this week when we do Xac's clutch on his 1.9TD. I've asked him to get new nylon bushes and recommended he gets a Valeo or LUK kit.
I can't get to GSF and they don't like my debit card so I'm shopping at eurocarparts instead (similar prices).
They have a Transmech clutch kit, anyone know if it's any good?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

vince wrote:from what ive heard Keith there was a company down south way who were making them but they were apparently snapping the cables instead so they have stopped making them for now.

Not sure if thats right but is what i was told recently by one of my Xantia owning customers.
I can confirm this. I phoned them (can't remember their name though!) and they told me they had stopped making them because of cable breakages. I believe (though can't confirm) that a place in australia makes a reinforced clip.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Penguin wrote:
vince wrote:from what ive heard Keith there was a company down south way who were making them but they were apparently snapping the cables instead so they have stopped making them for now.

I can confirm this. I phoned them (can't remember their name though!) and they told me they had stopped making them because of cable breakages. I believe (though can't confirm) that a place in australia makes a reinforced clip.
Is the problem with the plastic clip actually due to it being weakened by the first clutch wearing out, and then not being replaced when a new clutch is fitted by a garage?
So the weaker clip then breaks as the new clutch wears and gets heavier.

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Xac how much are you paying for the clutch and bushes...

mine is up for a transplant soon, just building a patio to do it on ;)

engine out for me, as cambelt, possible HG, clutch are the least I need to do.. gearbox oil is overdue thankfully as well ;)

John
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jgra1 wrote:Xac how much are you paying for the clutch and bushes...

mine is up for a transplant soon, just building a patio to do it on ;)

engine out for me, as cambelt, possible HG, clutch are the least I need to do.. gearbox oil is overdue thankfully as well ;)

John
http://www.eurocarparts.com/
Clutch kits exc. VAT:

641545050 Valeo £86.50
641545051 Transmech £48.50
646545191 Cable £19
646545265 Clip £6
640545030&40 left and right driveshaft seals £10

With the Transmech I'll get a new cable (had to chop the end off my current one so it's too short), driveshaft seals, and clip for under £100 inc VAT.

Never having changed a gearbox or removed an engine, I think I'd probably attempt it all with the engine still in. Too many pipes and things to remove and possibly damage (I know what I'm like!).
Cambelt is easy (done mine, er, 3 or 4 times now :oops: ), head swap had it's awkward moments (though having CitroJim helping was a godsend! though it was more like me helping him as he did most of the work), and putting everything back on took longer than taking it off, oh and turning the head bolts that last 240 degrees (or however far they're supposed to go) is scary!

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Xac

J
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:though having CitroJim helping was a godsend! though it was more like me helping him as he did most of the work
It'll be the other way 'round with the clutch change Xac :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm going to be purely the consultant, tea maker and a second pair of hands :wink:

I have a feeling we'll be doing your job concurrent with a Saxo engine transplant :lol: There's going to be competition for the engine crane I reckon although if my neighbours demonstration of strength is anything to go by, perhaps not. He lifted the new engine out of the back of his 4X4 single-handed :o

John, I reckon if you have a number of jobs to do, having the engine and 'box out as one unit is the way to go. To go the extra mile to have the engine out compared to removing the gearbox is not that much. Exhaust and coolant hoses, a few wires and it's ready to lift. It sure makes a doddle of doing a clutch and a cambelt :D
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac,

I recently bought a clutch clip from ECP for a friend of mine but for some reason the ones they sell don't come with the additional metal clip whereas the ones dealers sell do, although they have the same (genuine) part number :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH