Mysterious towbar accessory

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C.J.
My Cars:

Mysterious towbar accessory

Post by C.J. »

...well it is to me anyway. Just got my Xantia yesterday....and mighty pleased with it so far.
Was contemplating fitting the bike rack bracket to the tow bar, and noticed this strange device that's already been fitted. It's a short spring on a bracket that's been fitted horizontally, and I haven't got the foggiest what it's for. :?
Any ideas anyone?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Colin,

Congrats on getting a Xantia. We want more details of it....

It might be the towbar end of a caravan stabiliser bar. They are infernally horrible devices designed to mask the underlying faults in loading the 'van which give the 'van a tendency to "snake" :evil:

I've a bike rack that clips onto special outriggers on the towbar. They work well.

Post up a picture of it if you can and then one of us should be able to positively identify it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I've a bike rack that clips onto special outriggers on the towbar. They work well.
Can you post a picture, please?
My son (a mountain bike nut) is off to France in ten days in his recently purchased 306 and is contemplating a towbar mounted rack, Now that he's dented the tailgate on my C5 :cry:

Also where you obtained it please.

Thanks in advance.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Cheers Jim. I don't honestly think it's got anything to do with the stabilty bracket that's already fitted, but I could be wrong. I'll see if I can get a piccy of it, and post it up.
I.T. related matters are not my best subject however. I'll grab an all knowing teenage son....he'll know how. :lol:

The car? Fantastic!
2000 X Hdi Forte (LX) hatchback 98k, 5 months mot, 5 months tax, dark blue, 2 previous owners, cam belt changed and new catalytic converter fitted 10 k ago, 185 profile tyres fitted as per sticker on 'A' post sticker, so it's a 90bhp.
Front n's wing appears to have been resprayed at some stage, but couldn't have been too bad, as they didn't even take the indicator lense out to furnish the repair, as it had a minute amount of overspray on it. Definately fractionally darker than the rest of the car though....blind man on passing horse etc.....
Drives beautifully, and absolutely mint and original interior, even though the fag lighter has been well used. :shock:
Can't actually find anything wrong with it presently, but time will tell of course. :roll:

Just as a matter of interest, the paint doesn't appear to be metalic...paint code KNCB dark blue, but whilst G3'ing some of the scratches out, I noticed the rag wasn't turning blue. Did Citroen finish off their base colour non metalic paintwork with laquer I wonder?
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

slim123

Post by slim123 »

Tesco's do a tow ball mounted bike rack £30. Dont know if it's what you are looking for, but have a look here.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-8712.aspx

Regards
Slim.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

slim123 wrote:Tesco's do a tow ball mounted bike rack £30. Dont know if it's what you are looking for, but have a look here.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-8712.aspx

Regards
Slim.
Thanks slim, I'll pass that on to him.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

WOW!! Did this on my own, as the all knowing teenager is too nbusy on his ruddy play station. :roll:

Also, as a little footnote and claim to fame....anyone got a Witter towbar fitted to their Picasso?
My Picasso from way back in June 2000 was the donor car that was used by them to design it. Got a freebie fitted as payment. :wink:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

slim123

Post by slim123 »

I think? and it is just a very vauge memory, that the little spring is for fitting the safety chain to, it is supposed to take the shock out in case of the trailer going astray.

The other bit is for the "scott" stabaliser bar, as others have said, it helps to prevent snaking, there should be a length of spring steel from the caravan to the slot under the tow ball.

Regards
Slim.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That'll be the mounting for the breakaway cable.

the breakaway cable is attached to the caravan's handbrake. If the caravan should become detached from the towball the breakaway cable will pull the caravan's handbrake on and then break away.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I have a flange (as opposed to ball mounted, so it won't fit a swan type bar) mounted bike carrier, which is OK if the bike has the right kind of frame. It's a bit of a faff to get 3 bikes on and the top straps need to be pulled quite tight to prevent wobbling. In theory it's possible to hinge it down with bikes in place to access the boot but in practice it's not that easy with the three bikes on, they are quite heavy.

My one is a Halfords one that cost £60 in 2002.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Thanks lads.
Novel way of attaching the breakaway cable.
I always used to simply hook it through a purpose built hole in the backing bracket...IIRC...on previous cars.

Caravan hasn't turned a wheel in 2 years (handbrake left off), so that's the next task, now I've got a towbar again....to shift it out of the back garden and clean it ready for use again, or taking it down the scrappy if damp has rendered it useless. :cry:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Since I suggested that I've spotted a more likely looking breakaway cable point reflected in the bumper so now I'm having doubts. :lol:

EDIT- There's a similar one on this page.
http://www.lodgefarmgunthorpe.co.uk/Caravan_Spares.html
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

reblack68 wrote:Since I suggested that I've spotted a more likely looking breakaway cable point reflected in the bumper so now I'm having doubts. :lol:

EDIT- There's a similar one on this page.
http://www.lodgefarmgunthorpe.co.uk/Caravan_Spares.html
Just got under and had a 'butchers, and you are right. Their is a bracket welded onto the tow bar, that sticks out on both sides with a hole on each side, that looks suspiciously like an attachment point for the breakaway cable.
The mystery deepens! :shock:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote:IMy one is a Halfords one that cost £60 in 2002.
Mine is a Halfords one of about the same vintage and price.

Years back I used to fit and wire towbars as a sideline. I used to offer the the brekaway cable anchorage as an option. They were good and much better than just looping the breakaway cable around the towball as most of us do. They were known as "pigtails" back then.

A couple of times now I have forgotten to unhitch the breakaway cable when arriving at site and moved the car :oops: They sure pull the handbrake on tightly. Last time I did it I had a heck of a time releasing it :lol:

The most recent occurance of this was when SWMBO was towing. She went one better and broke the breakaway cable :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

citrojim wrote: Years back I used to fit and wire towbars as a sideline. I used to offer the the brekaway cable anchorage as an option. They were good and much better than just looping the breakaway cable around the towball as most of us do. They were known as "pigtails" back then.
Its illegal to wrap the breakaway cable around the ball hitch these days...