HDi LP Diesel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

HDi LP Diesel pump

Post by RichardW »

I noticed this morning, not having driven it all week, that the LP pump on the Xantia (which has always been audbile) has got noisier. I guess it's time to change it before it pegs out completely one day - IIRC it can be changed from inside the car fairly easily? I have in the back of my mind somewhere though, that the noise is actually caused (or is that just amplified) by the fuel filter. Anyone else remember this, or am I making it up? I guess I should change the filter and housing as well - I've seen recommendations that the filter housing should be changed complete, rather than changing the filter only, to prevent possible contamination of the HP pump. What are people's experiences here?
Richard W
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I noticed this morning, not having driven it all week, that the LP pump on the Xantia (which has always been audbile) has got noisier. I guess it's time to change it before it pegs out completely one day - IIRC it can be changed from inside the car fairly easily? I have in the back of my mind somewhere though, that the noise is actually caused (or is that just amplified) by the fuel filter. Anyone else remember this, or am I making it up? I guess I should change the filter and housing as well - I've seen recommendations that the filter housing should be changed complete, rather than changing the filter only, to prevent possible contamination of the HP pump. What are people's experiences here?
Easily accesible from under the rear passenger seat in the top of the tank via a round plastic cover. The complete pump/filter/gauge sender is one sealed unit
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if its a louder than normal buzzing niose then yes this is normally caused by the fuel filter housing (& filter).
If the LP pump does fail then usually a few whacks unerneath the tank while someone is cranking it will get it going temporarily.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Cheers wheeler, I'll get them both on order and add it to the 'to do' list!!
Richard W