1.9TD rad fans keep running

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

1.9TD rad fans keep running

Post by citronut »

a freind of mine phoned me to ask me to fix his P reg 1.9TD XANT,

what is the usual thing/s to look at, the fan run while engine on, temp warning lamp on, but the gauge reads normal,

not sure if the fans still run with just ignition on and no engine, i suspect they do,

coolant is topped up and calm

it even even runs with A/C off
regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It sounds like an earthing problem, as to where however :? here's a link for the wiring diagram http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the fans are running at top spped all the time, it'll be the Bitron sensor or unit at fault. Check the brown sensor on the thermostat housing. If this or the wiring goes open-circuit, the fans run at top speed as a fail-safe mechanism. If not the sensor, check the Bitron module connections. The unit is mounted under the nearside headlamp and is an absolute :evil: to get access to. It is not in a very friendly place from the point of view of getting damp.

If they are running at half-speed, the problem is likely to be with the relays but the fact the over temperature light is on points very much toward the sensor or connectins to the Bitron unit. Check first the connections to the sensor. If coolant have got to them, they may be a bit corroded. It's not unknown for the sensor connector to simply fall off the sensor if the spring retainer has gone AWOL.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks for replys DickieG and Jim, i will try and follow your info when i see the jalopy, and will report back on my findings
regards malcolm
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I had something similar with a 405 GTX. Turned out to be a blown fuse for the dashboard.

Steve.
not applicable
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just had a quike look at the car, with engine and fans running, i just touched the plug on the brown sender and that fixed the problem, so i pulled the plug right off, cleaned the pins (which looked clean anyway), sprayed it with duck oil, bunged it back and at the mow all seems fine
regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

its the same on mid 90's vw's.....sensor in the water flange.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

citronut wrote:i just touched the plug on the brown sender and that fixed the problem,
That particular connection is proving to be a "common fault". Perhaps a sticky should be made for it?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think i will have to start charging £50 squide per touch

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:i think i will have to start charging £50 squide per touch
You obviously have a magic touch Malcolm; if this were a gardening forum, we could say you had green fingers although if they fix Bitron sensors maybe you have brown fingers :P :lol:

There may be something in this laying-on of hands. SWMBO is into Reiki ( a spiritual sort of massage) and there is a Reiki massage you can apply to a weak car battery to revitalise it enough to start the car.. It must work as SWMBO has not suffered a flat battery for years and just the other day she fixed a duff brake light on her C3 by touching it :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...