zx top mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

zx top mount

Post by lexi »

My daughters ZX has a strut mount where the rubber is perished at the top. It has blown apart really. Is this the same issue as the Xantia? Is it just a case of spring compressors and crack the ball joints to remove? What parts are needed and what is it called?...top mount with bearing or what?. The other side has had a new one fitted....it is minted !!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The top mount includes several part, which are all available separately. The actual size/shape depends on the exact year/model. Your VIN/RP should be used for exact parts identification.

The coil spring is the component carrying the weight. So this is also the part that has to shoot up or completely collapse to penetrate the helmet. I dont think this is possible because of the design, unless yoy have a gross failure (neglect or accident). Never heard of it on a ZX or Xsara.

Umless the coil's upper seating cup is involved with the problem, you dont need to compress the coil. The rest is only a shocker type monting with involved parts.

Should be an easy task for a skilled home mechanic : lock/compress the coil while weight on wheels, then lift and jack up the front and remove/disassemble as necessary.

Aword of warning though : use a good quality coil comprressor tool. My first tool used some 25 yrs ago had a tendency to slip down the windings - releasing the coil. Not a lot of fun while working on the top mount :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks Anders
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no you dont use the spring compresors untill you have removed the complete strut from the car, and yes the top mount also holds the spring cap in place,

and i dont think your strut or spring will do the XANTIA trick unless the point of your inner wing the strut sitts in is as rot as a pear,

regards malcolm