C5 Crankshaft Pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

C5 Crankshaft Pulley

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Getting sounds like "tappets" from the drivers side of engine (C5 2.2 HDi 2002) I assume it is the crankshaft pulley separating at the rubber bond I will look once weather lets up a bit.

Has anyone any experience of removing HDI crank pulley bolt?

Has anyone used an air impact gun to do this ?

Regards

John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No experience with a C5 I'm afraid but the XM also uses a dual mass pully although I have only had one fail in about 12 years and 250+k. The bolt is tight and locktighted. I removed mine by selecting 5th and using a long bar with about 4' of tube on the end.

You can undo them by putting a socket with a long bar, the end of which is jammed against something or the ground and then just 'blip' the starter. The engine rotation is opposite to the thread. I have never tried this but I would have done had I remembered. :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: You can undo them by putting a socket with a long bar, the end of which is jammed against something or the ground and then just 'blip' the starter. The engine rotation is opposite to the thread. I have never tried this but I would have done had I remembered. :?
I've used this method on many occasions and can confirm it works a treat every time. For safety though, ensure the engine cannot start when doing this. Not sure on how to do this on an HDi though.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citrojim wrote:
For safety though, ensure the engine cannot start when doing this. Not sure on how to do this on an HDi though.
Easy, just unplug the 3 pin white connector for the cam position sensor pointed at the camshaft pulley.
CTR

Post by CTR »

It is not that bad - used electric impact wrench (12v) on mine.
make sure you get apparopriate whench head - it is 22mm is I remember correctly.

btw. - similar noise can be produced by aux belt tensioner pulley..
at least that was the case on my C5...

btw2. Crankshaft Pulley lasts exactly 1 year ...
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Thanks guys,

I was the dm pulley, managed to get the bolt loose with air rattle gun.

Replacement pulley from GSF and all is now nice and quiet.

John