Desperately Seeking...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Turboselecta
My Cars:

Desperately Seeking...

Post by Turboselecta »

Please forgive my ignorance but is there is a good reason for not using soya oil in the oh-so-useful ZX Turbo D (estate)??
Saw a warning ref palm oil & wondered. This is obviously the quest for a half-reasonable litre price. Currently flying on Harry Ramsden's which includes flavouring- should help with the savoury exhaust. :lol:
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

There is a good thread on "dieselsecret.com" i think it is.

I know you can only use Veg oil though...something to do with the properties of the oil....
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Desperately Seeking...

Post by Xaccers »

Turboselecta wrote:Please forgive my ignorance but is there is a good reason for not using soya oil in the oh-so-useful ZX Turbo D (estate)??
Saw a warning ref palm oil & wondered. This is obviously the quest for a half-reasonable litre price. Currently flying on Harry Ramsden's which includes flavouring- should help with the savoury exhaust. :lol:
I use KTC soya oil in my 1.9TD Xantia with no problems at all (actually runs better), doesn't make a difference if it's GM or non-GM either :D
Considering diesels were first designed to run off palm oil, I'd imagine that was actually one of the best oils to use.
I take it the ZX engines were fitted with Bosch pumps rather than Lucas?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Desperately Seeking...

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
Turboselecta wrote:Please forgive my ignorance but is there is a good reason for not using soya oil in the oh-so-useful ZX Turbo D (estate)??
I use KTC soya oil in my 1.9TD Xantia with no problems at all (actually runs better), doesn't make a difference if it's GM or non-GM either :D
Considering diesels were first designed to run off palm oil, I'd imagine that was actually one of the best oils to use.
I take it the ZX engines were fitted with Bosch pumps rather than Lucas?
That's an interesting statement.
I thought they were designed to run on peanut oil - probably no difference. I have seen something in the past few days about palm oil and seem to remember that there could be a problem with it.

I have nothing other than these vague meanderings unfortunately but will dog a bit deeper, taking the C5 out for a run now. I may be gone some time :D
Turboselecta
My Cars:

Alternative Means

Post by Turboselecta »

Are old diesels losing their edge?? My ZXs are only averaging 46mpg, used to be 48. If the price of diesel was sensible, on a 70% soya mix I'd be well ahead of the frugal petrols. Does anyone have a cogent reason for the price of diesel?
On pure economic grounds, should I be looking at lpg converted petrols instead??! :twisted:
C5 VTR Estate 110 HDi
ZX Turbo D Aura