xantia nearside suspension knock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paco
My Cars:

xantia nearside suspension knock

Post by paco »

hi

my sons Xantia has an annoying clunk everytime he goes over a speedbump etc, his advisery note stated that the front suspension rubber was worn.

does it have suspension rubbers, can they be changed, and if not what is causing the noise.

please advise

barry
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the first thing to check would be the anti roll bar linkage(drop link), and yes XANTIAs do have rubber arm bushes
regards malcolm
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

can the rubbers be changed
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

paco wrote:can the rubbers be changed
Yes, not a dead easy job though as the bushes are interference fits onto the wishbone. The front tubular bush is easily but carefully hacksawed to weaken it and then punched out but be very careful not to nick the wishbone with the hacksaw blade and risk creating a stress riser. The new bush can be driven in using a socket as a mandrel and a large hammer or using towo sockets, a length of studding and nuts/washers. A hydraulic press is preferable though.

The rear "P" bush can be similarly changed but it is vital to ensure the new one is installed at the correct angle relative to the wishbone so make a note of how the old one sits before hacking it off. OEM bushes have alignment marks but a lot of aftermarket ones don't. If they sit at the wrong angle on the wishbone they wont last very long. Again, when hacking off the old one, take care not to nick or damage the wishbone in the process.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

isn't it easier to just change the whole arm! Car would be like new then!
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

thanks for the reply can you tell me how to change the arm or where to look to find out

ps how much are they
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Paco, give me a call at the shop on Tuesday and i can price them up for you :wink:

Vince
GSF Trafford Park
Manchester
0161 876 0466