What are you doing to save fuel?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

What are you doing to save fuel?

Post by XantiaMan »

With the increasing cost of fuel every day it seems, i have had to adopt a change in driving style!

My 1.9 TD has been tweaked to run a little more boost, and more fuel to improve response and match the boost. When i turned it down a few weeks ago, i really missed the low down responsiveness that the tweaks gave, so turned it back to how it was, and started driving slower.

Over mixed driving on country road, dual carriageways and a fair share of city work, air-con on sometimes too and the occasional foot down to clear the cobwebs, i have managed to get an average of 48mpg. I will be doing a long journey this weekend and can definatly see over 50mpg in sight!

Not quite as good as an HDi would acheive, but not far off, and bear in mind i am running some SVO to offset the high cost of diesel. I suspect on standard settings it would not be so good, as you wouldnt be able to change up sooner, i've been having a 2500rpm limit, sometimes up to 3k, sometimes less than 2k, the extra response because of the fuelling mods actually seems to help.

Soon i will be running a WVO mix which will decrease further the amount i have to spend on each fill up, which just about makes things bearable.

I do 4-600 miles a week and the fuel cost is hitting quite hard but with this change to a more relaxed driving style its not as noticeable and definatly less stressful!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't think my driving style could be described as 'relaxed' exactly, despite my advancing years.
I do tend to stick to the speed limit, certainly in 30-40-50 areas and where there is a fair bit of traffic but I do like to be right on the speed limit for the area and to get there PDQ.
Drivers who take 30 seconds and more to get to 30 (then carry on increasing their speed to 40-ish) drive me nuts.
I don't screech/smoke the tyres off the lights but tend to be a long way away before the car behind me has moved. When I attain the speed limit, I stick there, much to the annoyance of the following car that accellerates to 40, eventually catches up and expects me to drive at 40 too.

This is not condusive to perfect economy but I can live with that. I used to do 5-600 miles a week on average, sometimes twice that but not any more. The trips I do make I attempt to plan more carefully so as to be more frugal with the fuel.

Unfortunately the planning usually falls apart at first contact with the enemy - I enjoy driving the C5 and sometimes find I have to make 'detours' to enhance that enjoyment.

I'm hoping for an excuse to drive down to Bedford soon and hang the expense.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My wife has stopped smoking - cigarettes :D
I quitted smoking 5years ago -

Exactly to increase the budget -
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I changed my job to one with a van and a fuel card.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
deian

Post by deian »

i sadly sold my zx td diesel in favour of a petrol nissan micra... sorry guys!

yes, i am desperate, i don't drink or smoke, i just have a wife :D
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

This may sound manic but it's actually quite the opposite....

I try not to use my brakes. 8)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

MikeT wrote:This may sound manic but it's actually quite the opposite....

Rarely use the brakes, don't slow down for curves and roundabouts. Why bother?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I thought my weekly mileage was relatively high at 300+ miles, but it isn't compared to some people here.

I took my steps to save fuel back in 2000, when the mpg on my SAAB 900 became intolerable and I started to feel like I was working to buy petrol. I bought a 1.1 Fiesta and then a series of Diesel family cars.

Before I changed jobs I was spending as much on fuel as I did in the SAAB but earning considerably less so a radical solution was needed.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I practice my feather-light touch on the throttle and drive mostly the most economical car I've ever owned, paradoxically the one with the biggest engine :lol:

My 2.1TD returns fantastic economy for what it is :D To be honest, my average weekly mileage is mainly short journeys to work and back with a good dose of taxi work for the kids.

I may have a feather foot but I don't dawdle. Up to speed quickly and then feather back, avoid heavy braking, anticipate and drive smoothly. Keep the TD under 3000rpm.

I also keep excess weight in the car to a minimum although its weight has increased since fitting new seats. the Exclusive leathers with all thier electric motors and air pumps must weigh twice what the old Alcantara seats weighed!!

I only drive the Activa for fun and long runs nowadays but using the same approach as with the 2.1TD (although it is hard to resist the odd thrash every now and again :twisted: ) it too is not too bad. I can get high 30s on a run and once got 39mpg from it :D Short journeys return about 25 overall :evil: whereas with the TD just carries on in the high 40s whatever the conditions. Given the cost differential of petrol and diesel, the Activa, on balance, is nearly as economical as the TD on a long run so that is the car of choice for such trips and much more fun!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

reblack68 wrote:I thought my weekly mileage was relatively high at 300+ miles, but it isn't compared to some people here.

I took my steps to save fuel back in 2000, when the mpg on my SAAB 900 became intolerable and I started to feel like I was working to buy petrol. I bought a 1.1 Fiesta and then a series of Diesel family cars.

Before I changed jobs I was spending as much on fuel as I did in the SAAB but earning considerably less so a radical solution was needed.
My youngest has a SAAB 900 Aero S 16v Turbo. How the hell she got insurance on it beats me, it is a beast. The petrol gauge needle drops like a brick though.

Her remedy for that is that she will sell it and emigrate to America, where petrol is cheap, when she gets back from there.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

myglaren wrote:

I meant for all driving - junctions, lights, etc.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

MikeT wrote:
myglaren wrote:

I meant for all driving - junctions, lights, etc.
Yeah, got that, me too.
I am amazed at the amount of times I see brake lights flaring for the most unwarranted reasons, i.e. approaching a bend in the road that you can practically see round. FOG is all that is needed, if anything at all. On a clear road I accelerate slightly to maintain COG on bends, curves and roundabouts.

Hi Steve,

This is your petrol prices update from www.petrolprices.com. Your current
settings are to receive e-mail updates twice a week.

5 cheapest stations within 5 miles of "NE38 0PE" for Diesel...
---------------------------------------------
Station : Sainsburys Washington
Address : The Galleries, Washington Centre, Washington, NE38 7RU
Brand : Sainsburys
Distance : 0.88
Price : 120.9p
Updated : 20-05-2008
---------------------------
Station : Malthurst Gateshead
Address : Sunderland Road, Felling, Gateshead, NE10 8HE
Brand : Jet
Distance : 4.46
Price : 120.9p
Station : Tcs Washington
Address : Heworth Road, Concord, Washington, NE37 2PX
Brand : Total
Distance : 1.71
Price : 123.9p
Station : Burnmoor Filling Station
Address : Chester Road, Burnmoor, Houghton-le-spring, DH4 6EY
Distance : 2.87
Price : 123.9p
Station : Malthurst Vigo Lane
Address : Durham Road, Birtley, Chester-le-street, DH3 2BH
Distance : 2.72
Price : 124.9p
Updated : 19-05-2008
Jeez!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: I am amazed at the amount of times I see brake lights flaring for the most unwarranted reasons
Indeed :) I practice what you do Steve and very rarely do I ever replace brake pads or clutches bexcause of downright wear. The friction material seems almost everlasting with my driving style.

That's quite a difference in diesel prices locally to you. Nothing unusyual though.

Down here in the land of the roundabout, I know of two garages opposite each other on a dual-carriageway. One is always 3 or 4p cheaper on average than the other. Guess which one is empty whilst the other is packed out? People go to the next roundabout and backtrack to take advantage of the cheaper one..

I notice even Tesco are not always exactly competitive these days. Once they could be relied upon to be the cheapest in town, often by a considerable margin.

So much for keen competition keeping prices low :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sainsbury's is always the cheapest around here. It is also the closest by quite a bit which helps. I also get Nectar* points and school vouchers, the grandkids think they are wonderful.

* I used to get my Christmas shopping in with Nectar points accrued throughout the year. I was clocking up a lot more miles then but as Tesco would have it, every little helps :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'll be replacing my gearbox so 3rd gear will be used more.
No more going from 2nd to 4th (well, in theory).
Running on 100% veg except when I need a diesel reciept for expenses.
Also need to tweak the idle as it's running at 1000rpm.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool