Xantia Activa - STOP light on all the time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Xantia Activa - STOP light on all the time

Post by KevMayer »

Hello,

I have purchased myself another Activa. But the red stop light is on all the time. The previous owner believed it to be due to an air leak on the inlet manifold.

I'm not so sure, so, can anyone tell me what problems will result in just the red STOP light coming on on it's own.

Thanks,

Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome back to Activa ownership Kev :D

The STOP light being on all by itself suggests an electical fault in the instruments. It may be as simple as a bulb being out that should be on along with the STOP light.

It won't be due to an air leak at the manifold, that's for sure. It might illuminate the K light perhaps but not the STOP light.

My usual cause of a STOP light being on is low LHM. Try disconnecting the LHM level sensor as a first step. Then all other sensors that may cause it and see if it goes out.

These are:

Coolant level, Oil Pressure, Over temperature, low hydraulic pressure.

Can't think of any others (there must be more) but it's late and I'm tired.

Will sleep on it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Top suspects - water level and sender/sensor and then LHM.

As Jim says, there's usually another light on with the stop which may
suggest a bulb has gone (or been removed in the past to hide
something..). Guess it's a case of determining what doesn't illuminate
with just the ignition switched on?

I've had just the STOP warning come on with my 1996 Activa and
it was a low water level.

Don't take chances as the engine's don't like running without water
for long - sure this caused the possible siezed engine in my blue one... :cry: :cry:

Looks like you've a nice car in silver though and at a decent price - any
vibes/feedback or further thoughts for Superloopy1 here on the forum
deliberating Activa ownership!??

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 21 May 2008, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

Just like andmcit, I had this on that Red Activa of mine you drove that time Kev (when you had that Blue Activa, Morrisons Carpark, Newcastle?)

Was also that the water/coolent was low in the radiator.

Which colour, reg you got this time? Does it have the leather?

and what made you come back? Was the C5 just not fun enough?

I'm on my second Activa, got a mark II Activa in the same colour as your old one, but i need to get round to sorting out, just never seem to have the time :oops:
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the water level.

Quakers.. I didn't know it was you using this name. How are you ?

It was indeed me that met up with you in my Blue Activa.

I sold the blue one about 18 months ago and just yesterday picked up a silver S reg with 109K on the clock for £400. It hasn't got leather. Just the good old plush black cloth with yellow/red etc checks.

This one has aircon which my blue one didn't. I still have my C5 as my main car. I love the C5 but really missed the entertainment of the Activa.

My only thoughts for Superloopy1 is that if you like Citroen Xantia then you'll always regret it if you never owned an Activa. Just find one and buy it.

cheers,

Kev
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KevMayer wrote: My only thoughts for Superloopy1 is that if you like Citroen Xantia then you'll always regret it if you never owned an Activa. Just find one and buy it.
Quite :D An Activa is a car everybody should experience at least once. Mine sees very little use these days due to my "Almost an Exclusive" 2.1TD Break doing all the donkey work but when I do go for a blast in the Activa, it is special!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Quackers

Post by Quackers »

I'm doing ok kev, thinking of changing my Activa next year, how much would you advise about not making that move? How much does it eat away at you when its gone? I'm really wanting a C6 next year, but i doubt i could afford to run an Activa and the most expensive french car on the market.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

When your Activa has gone.. you look at every Xantia you see to see if it's an Activa. If you spot an Activa your heart sinks because you know what your missing.

Kev
Cheers, Kev

Quackers

Post by Quackers »

Well that answers that question then.

Does you new Activa handle 100% then or is it a new sphere's, control rods, electo valves and tyre jobby?
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The 'new' Activa needs a little attention.

The engine management light came on as I drove home each time I put my foot down. I suspected overboost and today I found a bleed valve fitted on the turbo waste gate actuator supply. I've taken the valve off for now.

I'll be doing a hydraflush soon and then new LHM. A few new spheres too.

The control rods seem ok. It doesn't lean and it doesn't dance about at traffic lights so it seems pretty good. The rams don't appear to be leaking either although I've not had it on axle stands yet with the wheels off.

Kev
Cheers, Kev