2.1td aux belt tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

2.1td aux belt tensioner

Post by davethewheel »

a while back i was having trouble with the aux belt tensioner on my 2.1td xantia, on tick over the belt would flat around and make a right racket.
i changed the belt and also the crankshaft pulley which was starting to break up, i checked the rollers on the belt tensioner top and bottom and both seemed ok.
i've noticed the noise has started to come back and this time the belt has jumped partially off the bottom pulley and it's flapping around on tick over, it's fine once you put a few revs on the car.
has any one replaced one of these tensioners , not sure which part it is i need but i guess it's the bit with spring in it :)
deian

Post by deian »

Hi,

I had this before on my old 2.1td xantia. Exactly the same symptoms, it's annoying isn't it.

It's definitely the tensioner unit, i say unit because this unit with the spring costs big money from citroen, and i didn't find anywhere else that sells it unless you take a gamble from a scrap yard.

It's because of that I sold my xantia, I couldn't justify the cost to replace the tensioner unit, knowing my luck something else would have gone straight after it. Plus my car had 218k miles on it. What mileage is yours?

Let me know what you do, and how much it costs. It'd be cool to know how someone else takles/d the same problem I had.

Good luck.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

mine is just run in at a mere 155k :D
i think from last time i was having a problem with it the bits were gonna cost about £250 :shock:
i've been having some strange problems with the car sometimes it feels as there in no turbo at all and the car is really flat to drive and other times it goes like stink, so i'm reluctant to shell out money for a tensioner and then find the pump is knackered ,however i'm going to have to sort this out somehow.
deian

Post by deian »

the lack of power is probably that simple fix which i can't remember now, i think it's to do with the wastegate solenoid thing... someone else will shed some more light.

i wouldn't think it's the pump, it's a good pump, and does the job well as long as you leave it alone (i.e no veggie oil etc)

check all breather and vacuum hoses that lead towards the back of the engine are clear, take it from there.

i think 250 sounds about right... i think all in all when i wanted it done it was gonna cost in the region of £400 for all the bits