Peugeot 306 non turbo won't start

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cityfinal

Peugeot 306 non turbo won't start

Post by cityfinal »

My 306 started coughing and spluttering a while ago. It steadily got worse and now won't start at all. Over the past few months the fuel filter and glow plugs have been changed.
I posted this topic at the start of last month, but got fed up with piddling around with the car so I left it.
After leaving it for a few weeks I had a go at starting it yesterday, nothing happened, but what's new is when I squeeze the priming bulb, there's a 50/50 mix of air diesel going through the transparent tube. Same thing this morning. Where's my leak???
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You have an air leak which is causing the fuel in the fuel line to run back to the tank.

If you have a Bosch pump, the leaks can be anywhere from the leak-off pipes (small ones daisy-chained between injectors), the line from the pup to the filter, the filter body itself, the pipe to the priming bulb and the priming bulb itself. They do perish. You'll not see a leak of diesel as the whole fuel system is under suction which is why air leaks in but Diesel does not leak out.

The whole system critically depends on no air leaks to ensure the fuel line stays full of fuel. If it empties, the lift pump situated in the injection pump itself has its work well cut out to drag fuel up from the tank, hence the no start.

If you have a Lucas pump, the leak-off pipes will not be the cause as they just leak and smell when they perish, unlike the Bosch pump, where the integrity of these little pipes are critical.

In short, the only real way to trace this problem is to replace from the pump bak until the problem is resolved. None of the itenms are expensive.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...